TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15 | High Sierra Topix  

TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

Postby Nevada » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:29 am

Dates: August 11-15, 2014.
Mosquitos: 0
Equipment: Backpacking/Bear Cans
Summary: From Devil's Postpile up Snow Canyon (Fern Lake Trailhead permit), return down Beck Lakes trail.
Experience: 1 experienced thru-hiker, two novices.
Special: Camped overnight before trip at Devil's Postpile National Monument campground;(easy to secure a first come, first served site on a Monday at 2 PM ($14/night). Parked vehicle near the trailhead (0.3 miles north of Devil's Postpile Ranger Station) in a backcountry parking area. Parking area has a bear locker for use during your trip.
Enjoy your beautiful 15 to 25 mile 4 day backpacking loop! Use the Tom Harrison Devils Postpile Minarets Map. You won't need to take the shuttle into this area if you camp in the valley. Just pay the $10 use fee at the Minaret Summit Forest Service Kiosk and tell the guard you are camping at one of the many Forest Service campsites or the Devils Postpile campsite. (They have a list of the still open first served campsites available.) If its not a weekend, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a campsite. You could even enter the valley after 7 PM and stealth camp at the backcountry parking area if necessary (just sayin'). You will still pay the use fee if you come back out before 7 PM on the day of your exit, or just drive straight out if after 7 PM. Easy Peasy...
Attachments
2A-Typical King's Creek Trail On Way Up.jpg
Typical Snow Canyon, King's Creek, Fern Lake trail up.
3A-Fern Lake Camp (North Side of Lake).jpg
Fern Lake campsite.
5A-Anona Lake.jpg
Anona Lake northwest of Fern Lake
11A-Holcomb Has Fish.jpg
Holcomb Lake has fish. Get your license and bring your rod!
12A-Ashley Lake (Enough Said).jpg
Ashley Lake. Highlight of the trip. Beautiful. Must do.
13A-Typical Beck's Lake Trail Down.jpg
Typical condition of Beck Lakes trail on return to DP Natl. Mon.
14A-Lots of soft pumice down Beck's Lake trail.jpg
Soft pumice on Beck Lakes trail returning to DP Natl. Mon.
Last edited by maverick on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject/date input

Nevada
Topix Novice

Experience: N/A

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile National Monum

Postby maverick » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Nevada,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for taking the time to write up this wonderful TR and pictures. :)
Yes, Ashley Lake is beautiful, and well worth a visit.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/15

Postby Nevada » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 am

Thank you Maverick. We appreciate the work you do in moderating this blog and we found it very helpful in planning this trip. It was our inaugural visit to the Sierra and we look forward to visiting again!
Nevada
Topix Novice

Postby oldhikerQ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:20 am

Nice trip report. I've been up the Beck Lakes trail starting a section of Roper's High Route many years ago. Want to get to the Fern/Anona Lakes area someday. Thanks for the photos.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldhikerQ
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby schmalz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for the trip report. I've had this exact loop in mind for a few years and it's nice to see some pictures of it.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Nevada » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Thank you oldhikerQ and Schmalz for your kind replies. It was a perfect trail to be introduced to the eastern Sierra and we saw fewer than 5 people at what everyone has warned is the height of the hiking season in the Ansel Adams-JMT-PCT corridor. I will do it again and look forward to exploring Ropers myself. Happy trails...
Nevada
Topix Novice

Postby Nevada » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 pm

schmalz wrote:Thanks for the trip report. I've had this exact loop in mind for a few years and it's nice to see some pictures of it.

I see that you seek dog friendly routes. This one qualifies. We did see one family with a couple of dogs and they were doing well...
Nevada
Topix Novice

Postby richlong8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for posting a trip report on this area. Your camping and entrance info is helpful, as well. You make this area sound like it is worth a visit.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby Nevada » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:48 pm

You're welcome. We were looking for a quiet trip during the height of the season. It was perfect for us. Lots of opportunities on this loop, and fewer people.
Nevada
Topix Novice

Postby Wandering Daisy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm

I am glad you had a good trip with few people encountered. I was in that area in 2010 about the same time of year and it was loaded with people! There was an entire college class at Fern Lake, many horse riders at Anona Lake, and then another large horse group at another lake. I guess the best thing to do is ask when you get your permit to see how many other permits have been issued in the previous few days, particularly organized groups. It is a beautiful area.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/

Postby Nevada » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 am

That's good advice...And it is a beautiful area!
Nevada
Topix Novice

Re: TR Fern/Beck Lakes Loop From Devil's Postpile NM 8/11-8/

Postby Pulpit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:12 am

Thanks for posting, nice trip. We did a trip up there in 2011, although we just camped at Fern all 3 nights and dayhiked everyday. Still kicking myself for not taking the time to hit Ashley Lake in our travels, everyone raves about that lake. I'd love to go back and camp at Holcomb or Ashley someday.

And we must've lucked out, Daisy, we did not see a single person except for trail crew in 4 days out there!

I can't get over how much more snow there was in 2011, even in the last week of August when we were up there:

62.jpg
Fern Lake, late Aug 2011

129.jpg
Anona Lake, late Aug 2011
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping