Advice on a 2 night backpacking trip in Kings Canyon/Sequoia

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on a 2 night backpacking trip in Kings Canyon/Sequoia

Post by cahiker »

I hope you make it to this place. And if I return, I hope I don't know you were there. Though you could post a TR to let us know how it went.
Well said!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice on a 2 night backpacking trip in Kings Canyon/Sequoia

Post by limpingcrab »

Two nights, secluded and moderate on the west side of SEKI? Secluded will be easy on a weekday in september.

Here are a few ideas in no particular order:

-Lost Lake as suggested above. Very pretty, good day hike possibilites and lots of fish.

-Anywhere in Mineral King. My personal favorite is White Chief. You won't camp by the lake but you can day hike there. The valley is beautiful and there are numerous caves to explore. Big enough to be fun, not big enough to get dangerously lost.

-Alta Meadow (from wolverton) is one of the best places on earth to watch alpenglow in the evenings, though your dayhike possibilities from there are mostly cross country.

As most people have said, most areas in SEKI are hard to get to, but those three should provide what you're looking for.

You probably won't have trouble getting a permit as a walk in to any of those places, I've gotten walk in permits three times this summer to the Rae Lakes Loop trailheads and those are the most popular. Despite what rangers tell you bear cans are only legally required in SEKI in the vicinity of Rae Lakes loop, the Rock Creek area and in Dusy Basin from Friday of Memorial Day through October 31st, that's it, no other time or place. Hopefully that saves you a few pounds!