Planning 3 nights in Emigrant (finalized and now 4 nights)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Planning 3 nights in Emigrant (finalized and now 4 nights)

Post by MountainMinstrel »

This will be my second year living in this area (Columbia) and I want to explore a bit more of the ladder out of Crabtree. Last year, I did an overnight to Gem lake and two nights to Iceland Lake out of Kennedy Meadows. I felt like I just barely got into the nice part out of Crabtree so I am heading out that way again.

I have to confess that I am not in as good of shape as I would like so I am trying to stay in the 6-7 mile daily range.

Here is the plan...Park at Crabtree and try to hitch a ride to Gianelli (might go up the night before and hike it)

Day one to Y Meadows 6.2 miles

Day two to... and here is where I am not sure. my original thought was either Wire or Long lakes but I really want to keep the mileage down and really really want to see Buck lake. So here are my options.
1. Go ahead and stay at Wire of Long. 6.5-6.8 miles

2. Go to Deer lake. (dropping the pack and checking out Wire and Long if I feel good) (7.4 miles plus whatever goofing of I do)

Day three...this is the day that I am concerned about. My goal will be Gem of Piute lake. and these are my options.
1. If I stay at wire or Long I can skip Buck and Wood lakes. (4-4.3 miles to Gem but not really an option.)

2. From Long or Wire I could go Deer-Buck-Wood then shoot up to Gem from the lower trail. (8.6 - 8.9 to Gem but I doubt I will want to go on to Piute so will have a long day out.)

3. From Long or Wire drop my pack at Deer and day hike the loop to Buck and Wood. (4-4.3 to Gem with pack and 6.6 with daypack, but again I doubt I would make it to Piute lake).

4. If I stay at Deer lake, I could easily hike the loop to Buck-Wood and them back up to Gem (6.9 to Gem).

Day four Gem or Piute to Crabtree. (9.3 from Gem and around 1.5 less from Piute)

Millage wise it works out better to stay at Deer lake on night two but what are the conditions there?

This trip will be spur of the moment (I am in the middle of purchasing some property and need to be around) and it will be mid-week. I'm thinking late August early Sept.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by MountainMinstrel on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning 3 nights in Emigrant

Post by Willythedog »

Trying to plan a little fishing outing in the emigrant area myself so I'm conveniently looking at a map.

I was trying to do something similar to your trip back in May, had 2 opportunities but the first time I found a lost dog (owner found next day) and the second time my friends pooped out before the destination of deer lake.

I'd say go all the way to deer 2nd day (especially if you're a fisherman, I think wire / long has no to little fish) and do the loop with your pack for day 3. (I hate backtracking)

And gem lake is better to stay at rather than piute in my opinion, piutes just a marshy pond not to mention the hike from gem to piute is all easy downhill.

That is my opinion. Take it for what it is. Im just an idiot. :rock:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

did you at least search for "emigrant" or any of the lake names?

WD did a wonderful post at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11102&p=83807&hilit ... ke+#p83807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

people, do a search once in a while and then ask. Don't just ask, "where should I go?"

Willy.. you're not an idiot.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Planning 3 nights in Emigrant

rlown, Yes that was a great trip report but it gave me no info on Deer lake. There were other threads too. But they talked about Wire Long and Buck. So after some research I asked a question. If you don't want to or can't answer it that's fine, but you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Willy, thanks for the helpful input.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Jerk in my book is a great Caribbean seasoning, spicy like schiracha. Name calling isn't to too cool. Russ is generally has great and knowledgeable source of help. Reminds me of the 50cal post this morn which a "bite me" was a response. :snipe:
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Here is my report that includes Deer lake, although it was from Crabtree and at a different time of year.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We have done all of these routes, and there are reports on our website. That said:

Do you really plan your trips this tightly? My guess is that you will get on the trail, see how you are feeling, and then make five decisions each day that determine where you go and where you will camp.

No need to hike from Crabtree to Giannelli, you can just take the Chewing Gum Lake trail from Crabtree--it's meets up with the Giannelli trail a few miles in.

The hike from Deer to Buck Lakes is easy--it's the hike back that will cost you--very steep trail for about a mile or so.

Deer Lake has fish, and has lots of campsites. So do Buck Lakes. Gem Lake and Piute are less so--I didn't see a fish rise all afternoon and evening at Gem Lake a few years ago. Piute Lake has one major campsite that is used pretty hard.

You could also go from Deer Lake to Wood Lake (nice fishing and camping, both) and then hike out from there. With a lighter pack at the end of your hike, that won't be so hard. Or camp at Grouse Lake--but the only nice campsites there are on the south shore on the ledges..the rest of the lake is full of waterlilies and packed hard by horse packers.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

[rimg]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... zliq3l.jpg[/rimg]
Not good fishing by any means but there are some big ones in Gem (memorial weekend)

[rimg]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... enr7tk.jpg[/rimg]
I was thinking something like this

[rimg]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... zamexh.jpg[/rimg]
Jewelry Lake. No fish though, heard bunch of frogs croaking

[rimg]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... hgsjau.jpg[/rimg]
Doesn't tell you much but this is the only pic i got of Deer.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Kpeter, Thanks I had read that and it was helpful.

Balzaccom, Yes I have read most of your trip reports on the area from your website, but for some reason did not remember you talking about Deer Lake (might be getting old).

I hike solo most of the time out of necessity and for peace of mind. My wife is much more willing to let me do this when I have very specific routes laid out ahead of time. I do my best to figure out what will work and then try hard to stick to it. It doesn't always work out that way but I try. It's a small price to pay for the solitude.

I thought about the trail to Chewing gum, but It seemed easier to gain that elevation in the back of a truck :D Then again, if I got a late start I could dry camp along that trail on the first night and stay out for 4 nights. We'll see on that one.

I think I have pretty much decided to camp at Deer and then pack the route that Willy has on the map.

I don't fish but I like to swim so it matters not to me if there are fish. I am more interested in scenery and solitude on the trail. I don't mind if there are people where I camp as I like to gab a bit.

Last year when I went to Gem I came out on the lower trail but the sand on that little doggy made me want to never hike it again. :crybaby: As for Gem or Piute I think Gem is far superior and remembering the tough climb from Piute to there from last year, it should not add significant work to my hike out, so I will most likely spend that last night at Gem.

Willy, That is the route I was thinking of from Deer to Gem and your picture of Deer sealed the deal.

Thanks guys it's great to have a few people I can talk these things through with.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Re: Planning 3 nights in Emigrant (finalized and now 4 nights)

Thanks everyone for the input. It is always good to have people to bounce ideas off of.

I was able to get another day freed up so here is the plan.

Day 1 Crabtree to Y Meadows Lake via Chewing gum lake trail
Day 2 Y meadows to Long Lake
Day 3 Long Lake to Buck Lakes (with possible day hike to Emigrant Lake)
Day 4 Buck Lakes- Wood lakes -off trail to Red, Karls and Leighton Lake - Deer lake -Gem Lake ( Possibly Piute Lake)
Day 5 Gem Lake to Crabtree

I've been hiking almost daily with 27-29 lbs. on a local trail/road trying to get my legs working before I left. Yesterday went 3.67 miles in 1:21 with 970 feet of down and 970 feet of up. I will be a bit heavier 35ish and will not be in a hurry, so the 7.6 miles with 1600ft gain on the first day should not be a killer. Just wish I could get back in the shape I was in before I suddenly became lactose intolerant and it took over a year to figure out. I'm getting there but at 58 it is harder to regain lost muscle than it was at 30.

I'm not sure Tuesday is ever going to get here [-o<