Suggestions for backpacking between SF & Irvine

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike415
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for backpacking between SF & Irvine

Post by Mike415 »

Hello;
I am new to the board, it looks like a great resource. I am posting to see if you have any suggestions for a short backpacking trip that I want to take with my son. We both have extensive backpacking experience and we usually have the time to do a lot of research for our trips, but this date snuck up on us.
So a bit about us, we are both in good shape, I am 65 so we are looking for a trip to suit both of us.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?

Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

I will mention that now that I am in my 60’s I prefer to stay to trails.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?

- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
We will be meeting up on the night of August 20th and would like to start our trip on the morning of August 21st and come out on the morning of 24th, so 4 days/3 nights.

How many miles did you want to do a day, we have no problem with 5-8 miles a day possibly a bit more. On our last 3 day trip we covered about 26 miles total

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop,
We prefer a loop.
Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in:
Here is where I need most help, my son will be leaving from the Irvine area and I am leaving from Berkeley, we want an area more or less the same distance for each of us, but we are very negotiable if you have an excellent suggestion.

Will you be hiking with a dog?
No we won’t

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. We will post a trip report with photos.

Mike and David
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions for backpacking between SF & Irvine

Post by seanr »

Well, on the Eastside to take equidistant literally would put you at Toms Place in about five hours each for easy access to Rock Creek Rd/Little Lakes Valley. Now including the swath of Sierra accessible from Bishop to Mammoth would open up countless other easy drive options. Westside, you are looking at Three Rivers in about four hours to then make long, winding approaches to Lodgepole Area of Sequoia NP or Mineral King. There are lots of good options farther north on the Westside. With potential traffic problems leaving your homes, all bets could be off as to actual drive times. Also, there have been roadwork delays going over Tioga Road on my two nighttime excursions through there this month (letting traffic through on the hour). I''ll leave the rest to the backpackers for now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to HST! For 4 days/3 nights go to Minaret Lakes out of Mammoth.

Easy access allows your first day not be wasted on a big pass. Use the HST
search feature to read numerous TR's to this area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

So modest day hiking in and out with layovers. The west slopes are going to be unually dry unless one is hiking along a permanent stream. Routes with modest verticals or mileage to see big peaks are going to take a couple days each way thus better to commit to a longer drive in the Eastern Sierra to a high trailhead with one day to goods. Two short base camping ideas with lots of water and impressive peaks.

First idea, backpack up from South Lake trailhead on the SF of Bishop Creek for a camp between Spearhead and Margaret Lake. That way you will be near lots of lakes, and permanent streams, off trail enough so day hikers won't be traveling near you but close enough to trails that you can jump onto the trail and day hike say the loop around Chocolate Peak or over Bishop Pass. And could move your camp anywhere in that basin and exit easily.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.13775,-118.54526&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second idea, backpack from Sabrina trailhead on the MF of Bishop Creek to Emerald Lakes. Next day move camp to somewhere near Moon or Pee Wee Lake for a couple nights, then modest exit back to trailhead. Lots of easy day hiking to interesting features in that basin, big peaks, lots of water.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.17667,-118.62942&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike415
Topix Newbie

Post by Mike415 »

Thank you very much - I will certainly look for the TR's on the area. This sounds like we have good options!