Tunemah pass or Tunemah lake into Goddard Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tunemah pass or Tunemah lake into Goddard Canyon

Post by jenreyn »

Just wondering who has done Tunemah Pass pass down to Goddard Creek and or if anyone has taken one of the drainages from Tunemah Lake down to the confluence of Disappearing Crk and Goddard Creek. Trying to finalize some decisions as to how we are exiting from the White Divide from Tunemah Lake. We are highly experienced cross country backpackers with lots of experience and miles under our feet. Comfortable up to 4th class with packs. I have done the whole Goddard Creek Drainage to Simpson Meadow a couple years ago as well as been down the Enchanted Gorge which we are considering as an option to get back towards Muir Pass. But wanted to see if anyone had any good info about either of these options. Thanks again!

Jen
Pato
Topix Acquainted

Re: Tunemah pass or Tunemah lake into Goddard Canyon

Post by Pato »

I was waiting to see if anyone else was going to chime in, but I'll try to help a bit if its not too late. I have not done the descent from Tunemah Pass nor descended the drainage from Tunemah Basin down to Goddard Creek. However, I was just in the area and took a couple pictures of that drainage below Tunemah and it looked like you could keep it at Class II. Of course, I couldn't really see the lower reaches of the canyon, so who knows what you'll run into down there...

Here's some pictures from the lip of lower Tunemah Basin
DSC_0140.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

Thanks Pato. I actually just got back :) Was just seeing if there were others out there who had any info on alternative exits. I did talk to one person who has gone down the Tunemah drainage to Goddard Creek and he said it is fine. I sprained my foot on day one so we opted not to drop down to Goddard creek and use the Enchanted Gorge as an exit. We ended up using your info from your trip report to get over to Tunemah from the Finger Lakes Basin. Thank you for that info. We ended up not going over Libby Pass on our way in but to the right up to the peaklet and ridge traversed over and down to the lake. We used Libby Pass on our way back to camp. Was really awesome to be back there. I tried getting there a few years ago but we bit off more than we could chew with time constraints and heavier packs. This time we went lighter and crossed Ionian Basin to shorten the distance to get there and it worked out.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

jenreyn wrote:Thanks Pato. I actually just got back :)
Can't wait to see your report. Sounds like a great trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Hi
I have hiked over the peak due north of Tunemah Lake, some talus but a good route.
1009_1205_D1A.jpg
I've descended (in winter) the drainage from Tunemah Peak to Goddard Creek (a bit of scrambling to bypass a waterfall down low).
1105_ 1390_D1A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

That Winter picture looks impressive John. Was wondering if anyone had been out there in winter. I think we used the same way you did going up to the peak to the north of Tunemah. It worked out well.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Ya, that was a pretty cool trip, not actually winter, but spring of a big year. More pictures here if you're interested.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
hacker
Topix Newbie

Post by hacker »

Just walked Simpson Meadow --> Goddard Creek --> Tunemah Lake. Left from NE of the Middle Fork/Goddard Creek junction. Walked NE bank of Goddard Creek, mostly ~30 meters above the creek level where the brush is sparser as seen clearly in aerial photography (no dramas, and MUCH easier than Muro Blanco). Reached junction of Goddard Creek and creeks draining ENE out of Tunemah ("Tunemah Creek") in 4 hours. Ascended "left"/south side of "Tunemah Creek", staying far above and south of creeks until reached lake basin at 10200' where the gradient eases dramatically. Required 5.5 hr to reach Tunemah Lake.

Route up "Tunemah Creek" is easy with no major route-finding challenges. The cliffs shown around 9600-9800' on some topo maps do not cross all the way across the canyon and are easily surmounted. Walking down the canyon would be slightly more challenging as the opportunity for being cliffed for a few short sections exists.

(Reached Simpson Mdw via Tehipite Valley from Rancheria TH. Exited Tunemah via Alpine Col, Dykeman Col, Blue Cyn, Crown Valley back to Rancheria TH. 4.5 days.)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Hacker,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the info, hopefully you'll have the time to write up a
TR with some pictures. :) I know we would all enjoy reading about your adventure
through that beautiful region on the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

hacker wrote: (Reached Simpson Mdw via Tehipite Valley from Rancheria TH. Exited Tunemah via Alpine Col, Dykeman Col, Blue Cyn, Crown Valley back to Rancheria TH. 4.5 days.)
Studley trip! Sure would like to see a report.