TR: Rae Lakes loop 6/22/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Rae Lakes loop 6/22/2014

Post by tie »

I ran the Rae Lakes loop counterclockwise a couple weeks ago. This was my first longer trail run, so I learned a lot about nutrition, hydration and gear. Fortunately, it was a beautiful day with perfect weather. The trail was in great condition, although poles were helpful getting across the snow descending Glen Pass. It took 12 hours, with 8 hours moving and 4 hours taking photographs! Here are a few:

Rae Lakes from Glen Pass:
Panorama from Glen Pass:
Rae Lakes:
Flowers along the trail:
Descending from Dollar Lake:
Looking back up Woods Creek:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Rae Lakes loop 6/22/2014

Post by maverick »

Hi Tie,

Welcome to HST! Congrats on a successful run, and thank you for posting it here
on HST. May I ask why you decided to run in counterclockwise? Which trailrunners
are you wearing, hard to tell from the picture?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Running CCW gives you a steeper ascent and a shallower descent. That's easier on the knees. I walked the steeper downhill sections. It also gets you over Glen Pass earlier in the day.

The shoes are Saucony Kinvara TR2s. Lightweight, breathable, dried quickly after going through the snowfields, enough protection for the generally smooth trail.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Great photos. It must be nice to be in good enough condition to do this. It makes me want to work out.