North Fork Big Pine to High Meadow via Baker Lake trail ques

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

North Fork Big Pine to High Meadow via Baker Lake trail ques

Post by steve_moran »

Hi, I'm considering doing a September dayhike out-and-back from North Fork Big Pine as far as High Meadows on the Baker Lake trail before turning around.

I haven't been able to find much to read about this hike, but what little I have found says it's a 9-mile round trip, and also seems to possibly be saying that the worthwhile scenery doesn't appear until you get to the High Meadows turn-around point at 4.5 miles (where there are great views of the Palisades).

If this is in fact correct, it means most of this hike's 9-mile distance does NOT have worthwhile scenery, in which case I would have less interest in doing it.

Even though what qualifies as "worthwhile" scenery is obviously very subjective, what I'm trying to find out is how "worthwhile" this hike's scenery is by High Sierra standards. Can anybody who has done this hike give their opinion about the scenic "worthiness" of the part of the hike before getting to High Meadows?

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Fork Big Pine to High Meadow via Baker Lake trail ques

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

As you mention "worthwhile" is very subjective and is in the eyes of the beholder.
Maybe if you check out these photos they may give you an answer based on your
eyes.
http://www.summitpost.org/north-fork-bi ... ail/737178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

Worthiness?

Maybe you should do sill as a dayhike instead... Secor wrote it has "the best view of any summit in the sierras". With a light daypack its a fairly easy dayhike from the same trailhead via the NE col/ l shaped snowfield.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A lot of people day-hike up to Third Lake - definitely meets the scenic criteria. All trail, at 2 mph up and 3 mph down means you can go well over10 miles for a day trip.
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted

Post by steve_moran »

Thank you for the replies. At this point feedback on this hike is what I'm hoping for, rather than potential alternatives to it, but I will definitely keep those in mind.

Thanks again!
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

Gee Maverick! These are incredible shots. Thank you for the inspiration!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is an old post, revived! It brings up the concept of "scenic" with regard to up-close and looking up at mountains vs. looking down from a farther distance. Two different perspectives. The best of both worlds is a hike where one can walk down at the lake-level and then see the same area from above. It is similar to comparing the High Trail out of Agnew Meadow to the River trail and up to Shadow Lake and on to Thousand Island Lake (one is the JMT and the other the PCT but I cannot remember which is which). Here one can do a loop taking one trail up and one back. Unfortunately not so for NF Big Pine Creek but you could do two day-hikes back-to-back to get the same feel.

Having been a climber most of my life, I used to be hell-bent on getting to the top, which does have wonderful views, but in my old age, I am beginning to appreciate the views from the valleys, looking up at the mountains just as much. Also beginning to appreciate the lingering views one gets from a few hours of fishing the same lake.