2014 Sierra Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Sierra Hike

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So far doing well people! Everything has been as planned and have climbed all peaks other than Senger since we just didn't like the approach with the rest of the day. My friend Derek that hikes like a mountain goat did it though.

AlpineMike met up with me at Vee Lake and we have been doing well. We had some fun class 5 climbing on Mt. Gabb but other wise have been keeping it safe. :p

Only had one moment when I had to climb up some rocks and I told Mike "this is one of those moments when you have to trust the rock and it is either going to hold or kill you. As soon as I stepped off it the rocks went smashing down the mountain taking my camera with it 40 feet down the slope. It was in its padded case and survived the fall with only a couple dents!

Tuesday morning we head out for that little lake on Ragged Spur! And down the Enchanted Gorge!

Another 14 days of hiking with a partner and then I am on my own for the rest of the trip.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Glad to hear you're safe and well.

(BTW, have you seen Being John Malkovich? Is there a portal into your mind? I want to go there. For more than 15 minutes at a time.)

Safe travels.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well still ticking out here. Its been about 10 days since alpinemike left me and i went on solo. He hiked with me for like 35 days which is more than anyone ever has. Good times Mike! Im sure he has a rather colorfull trail report coming after everything we did.

So after getting a ride to florence thanks to jim at VVR we went in and did everything as planned except we went all the way down the enchanted gorge in one horrible day and then spent 2 days in goddard creek to recover and dry our boots. Then after another nightmare climb up below woodworth we did not climb it and used that day to recover. I wish i had now since its so hard to get to. We did wheel and went out making major mistakes along the way.

After a resupply we went in as planned but failed to climb the unnamed peak above island bird lake due to some nasty class 5 and weather so we bagged 3rd ascent on the smaller peak. I skipped going to the other lake mostly due to weather. Did everything else as planned but also climbed. An unnamed peak in the kid lakes area and i climbed kid peak. Yesterday left the kid lakes and did munger peak and dropped to roads end which was the second longest drop I have ever done of 7000 feet. Now ready for good rest today and tomorrow. At least they have new owners here so full time wifi and better food.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

If the shuttles arent running at lodgepole i probably wont post again until after the black kaweah loop.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I have returned to Bakersfield! Of course was supposed to do another 2 weeks but I felt I should get back to work so I can start saving money.

So most everything went pretty well after leaving Cedar Grove. Did everything exactly as planned until I dropped down Cunningham Creek and crossed the river. I just stood there looking up the narrow water way chute I was about to climb and I just said nah! I just don't feel like doing this today. And the thought that if I just went around into Deadman on trail I could chat with Cindy which I did for hours and I could get a day ahead of schedule because I felt the beginning of the next section was just too difficult so I wanted to break it up. So went around and up to Big Bird and on doing everything as planned. I only messed up a bit on Mt. Silliman climbing completely to the wrong peak and then looking over at the real summit and having to go from there. Dropped over the pass and down Horse Creek which I did not enjoy much.

When I went back in on the last section I ended up going over the Panther Gap and then to 9 Mile Creek then to the creek coming out of Lonely Lake and then to Glacier Lake. Sadly it rained on and off all night and into the morning where I got a late start trying not to completely pack up in the rain. Although the 3am thunderstorms had long passed Triple Divide Peak was completely in the clouds and I figured why climb it when I cannot see anything so missed out on that. Annoying also because it was a 1 day storm that just had to come in on that day!

Now I had what I thought was Wildflower Pass in my sights based on what Secor says in his book but I don't know what the hell he is thinking because that cannot be it and I'm glad I did not take it. I decided to cross the next pass to the West because it looked better and it only had a short bit of class 3 to deal with. Once in Picket Guard Creek and looking at what Secor says is Wilderflower there is no way down at all! If I had climbed it I would have had to traverse the ridge to the East until I reached the next saddle!

Went down to the Kern Hot Spring and around the Kaweah's as planned. Found the piece of aircraft that Derek had found the year before. Did some more investigating and found wreckage scatted up the slope at least 700 feet higher than the piece he found as that's the highest I climbed. Even found a bomb! =P. I sort of hit the jackpot in an investigative sense as I found a piece of aircraft that was large and flipped it over to find a small plaque with aircraft model number, serial number etc so I plan to follow up on that and do some research. It even had a date of 10/54 which of course is when the plane was made or modified and not necessarily when it crashed.

When I woke on the Red Kaweah day I was a bit pissed to see clouds at 4am but I was determined to make the summit so I began up. Got some rain on the way up and it was completely freezing! I only stayed on the summit long enough to take photos and sign the register and I was off. It snowed off and on as I made my way down but success anyway!

As I made my way around to Black Kaweah yet again the clouds looked ominous and I was afraid it might start raining or be a thunderstorm but luckily nothing happened and I made the summit. A nasty peak for sure. Probably the worst I have ever climbed. Since the route is not quite as straight forward as what Secor describes I did a class 4 or 5 section or two but it wasn't so bad. Even saw in a small crack an old rusty small nail. Maybe out of the boot of Norman Clyde. =P

At this point because I had issues with the post office mainly that it's closed this year and had to make arrangements with an employee there I was scheduled to get back in on Friday meaning I would not be able to get my resupply until Monday and I did not want to spent that much money there so I cut out the Lippincott day so I could pick it up on Friday which was successful. I also should learn that moving camps and climbing peaks don't mix. I dropped down to Big Arroyo and set up just beyond the crossing in an old camp with a tree saying 1935. But it was lunch and the laziness took over so I did not do Eagle Scout Peak.

If I had not come home I actually had planned to change the whole last section to go back to Triple Divide Peak and then do all the summits South down the Great Western Divide. Basically already have a loop set for another year!

So in the end only lost about 25 pounds this year. I think I did 17 summits. set a new personal record of 27 days with no rain. Had 24 days rain total and 1 snow day.

Best of all had no bad injuries of any kind. A nice smooth year! Victory! :thumbsup: