old newbie checking in

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steveo
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

old newbie checking in

Post by steveo »

Hi folks...
Man, what a font of information you all have here. Very cool. In May of last year I went on my first backpack trip in over 40 years. I've done several more since, all overniters in the Los Padres. It's been quite a journey, from acquiring new gear to getting these old legs strong enough to get on the trails again. It got discouraging at times as I was hiking with alot lot of lower leg pain the first 9 months...sometimes severe, but i stuck with it and these days I chug along pain free. I calculate I've hiked / walked about 600 miles in the last 15 months. Next week, I join my older brother and my uncle for a 4.5 day hike out of Horseshoe Meadows, hopefully to Rocky Basin Lakes. Between the three of us, we're 199 years young! They are both avid hikers, in good shape. This will be the first time my brother and I have been on the trail together in..oh, about 44 years. I half expect him to show up sporting his old Kelty A4!
I haven'thad a great deal of luck in finding recent trail reports of the route to these lakes. I did see a report from 2012 which mentioned the trail being largely washed out from Big Whitney meadow to the lakes. I guess we'll have to wait until we pick up our permt to get the latest. if any of you have any info about this area, we'd greatly appreciate it.
I look forward to spending more time here as I continue to get back into this wonderful sport.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: old newbie checking in

Post by maverick »

Hi SteveO,

Welcome to HST! Congratulations on getting back to the Sierra.
Here is a TR to the area: http://reticentbehavior.blogspot.com/20 ... lakes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
steveo
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by steveo »

Thank you, Maverick. We will definitely make use of the form.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Steveo wrote:
We will definitely make use of the form.
Happy to read this, thank you Steve!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org