Can You 'Hold' A Campsite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Can You 'Hold' A Campsite?

Post by papasequoia »

InsaneBoost wrote:I do understand the whole, someone else could be using it for the days we aren't there, which does make me feel guilty, and does make me feel like I am 'cheating' the system, but if I pay for it as well, don't I have the right?
Some people would agree with that sentiment, others would feel it is ethically wrong. Sounds kind of like our two party political system in this country.
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

InsaneBoost wrote:haven't found anything saying I can't do what I want. Odd part is, I do recall going through the campsites last week and seeing quite a few sites with the ticket, or whatever you want to call it, with NOTHING set up.
My position is that just because it isn't "illegal" doesn't mean that it follows the Golden Rule, but then I'm not a libertarian.

One May morning, years ago, my girlfriend and I paid for a site at Wawona. We displayed our receipt at the site, but didn't have any cheap gear to leave out for potential theft. We went off day hiking in Yosemite Valley and returned that evening. So the assumption that if there isn't anything left out during the day that the site is going unused that night is mistaken, but not unheard of. When we got back to our campsite it was occupied by a strange car and tent. #-o
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

One May morning, years ago, my girlfriend and I paid for a site at Wawona. We displayed our receipt at the site, but didn't have any cheap gear to leave out for potential theft. We went off day hiking in Yosemite Valley and returned that evening. So the assumption that if there isn't anything left out during the day that the site is going unused that night is mistaken, but not unheard of. When we got back to our campsite it was occupied by a strange car and tent. #-o
Soooo. What was the end result?

Same trip to French Camp as mentioned above I paid for the night about 10:30; left a 12 pack of Seltzer water on the picnic table seat in plain view and firewood by the pit; put up the paid ticket on the post and drove to Mammoth to fish for the day. I came back about 4:30; my ticket was gone off the post and the seltzer was gone. Nobody commandeered the site but it felt real odd. My ace in the hole w/b that my check with all my info would be in the drop box which I placed in the box, would trump whoever else would have made the move into the spot. Turned out it was one of the hosts thought it was abandoned....Apologized the next day profusely. Never had anything like it before happen. I explained to another one of the hosts the next day and upped my stay for two more days,
Last year at Rock Creek Lake there were quite a few thefts of some expensive equipment from campsites; but they caught the guys later in the summer. For the most part people are good and like minded.I'm vigilant and look out for my neighbors in adjacent camps even though I may not introduce myself directly; but know who belongs there.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

I don't even know how I would feel if that happened, cheap or not. Hoping that doesn't end up happening to me as I just returned from the trip. The camp was actually pretty empty, and I did leave a typical $50 Coleman tent which we don't use anymore. No way I was leaving the Kelty by itself (even if it is cheaper than other tents).

We wanted to check out a campground alone the 1 around Big Sur and they wouldn't even let us drive through due to thefts. Sad people go to any extent, but I guess that's what people have come to.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

austex wrote:When we got back to our campsite it was occupied by a strange car and tent. #-o
Soooo. What was the end result?
They were apologetic and had a good sob story so we let them stay. Back then I wasn't so old and grumpy. The girl friend and I just threw down our ground cloth and slept cowboy style. We got up early and headed out for a backpacking trip up the Merced to experience the voluminous spring runoff that year.
jmac
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmac »

I understand you wanting to hold a campsite, believe me I have thought about it too, but I don't think it's right. It's not fair for those people who drive far distances only to find out there are no campsites available. Nothing is worse than driving to a campground only to find a bunch of sites have been "reserved" this way. Every year I see this in the Rock Creek drainage. It's not just one campsite. Sometimes its many campsites at a campground. People will come pay and leave a chair on Monday and not arrive until Friday. It's no big deal if you're going to be gone for the day or even one night, but to hold a campsite for the week I feel is just rude.
http://trailsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Does Yosemite Creek ever fill up though? From what I recall it's always open. Never heard of it being filled.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

InsaneBoost wrote:Does Yosemite Creek ever fill up though? From what I recall it's always open. Never heard of it being filled.
Fill up? You posted earlier that part of the reason you wanted to hold a site for several days was so that you could get a preferential site, one by the water, one that you said would be "tough to get". You weren't just looking for any available site.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This thread has been locked since it has served it purpose, and both sides views
have been expressed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org