Need Beta: Old Trail: Lk Genevieve due W to PCT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Need Beta: Old Trail: Lk Genevieve due W to PCT

Post by Tom_H »

I am looking for loops I can do in Deso. and am looking at my old 1955 USGS 7.5 min. Rockbound Valley Quadrangle. The aerial photos were taken in 1953, the area was field checked in 1955, and the map printed in 1955. It was updated in 1969, but not re-field checked. This ancient map shows an officially maintained trail departing the N side of Lake Genevieve and meeting the General Creek Trail (just before it reaches the PCT) at a point almost due west of its origin. The trail climb(ed) for a quarter mile, then descended to the tributary that feeds Meek Creek from the W of Genevieve. The trail then crossed that tributary, following but drifting N away from it in a gentle counter-clockwise arc, eventually passing the source of the tributary then skirting the southern edge of what is shown as a miniature glacier (permanent snowfield) about .2 mi. due west of the source of the tributary. The trail continues generally WSW and just before meeting General Creek, turns NW, intersecting the General Creek Trail on the E side of General Creek, crossing General Creek. I copied the route from the paper map onto a CalTopo map and came up with 415 ft. elevation gain, 315 ft. loss, for a net of 100 ft. net gain over 1.68 miles, all of which is shown in green (vegetated), including the aforementioned snowfield as well as one other smaller one. I have been to Genevive at least 10 times and have always looked for, yet never found, any trace of this trail, although I did not continue away from the lake more than 100 ft. The trail is no longer shown on any map that I can reference and it is my supposition that the FS simply closed it and allowed it to be overgrown in the forest.

Has anyone ever hiked this route? Was it in essence XC, or did you find any semblance at all of an old trail? Was the terrain forested, obstructed by downed trees, manzanita, etc.? Any beta at all is appreciated. This route appears easier to navigate E to W as opposed to vice versa due to the landmarks one approaches rather than departs. It is my hope to take this route to the PCT, go S to the trail that climbs Phipps Pass and continue counter-clockwise back down Meeks Creek past Genevieve, and back to the car at Meeks Bay.

My wife is away for a couple of weeks. My daughter just got home from CP, has a week before her summer job begins, and wanted to go packing together. I wanted to go to Emigrant, but had such bad asthma for 3 months during the spring that I need to keep the altitude lower. I've always wanted to check this out, so the stars seem to be pointing towards that.

Map: http://caltopo.com/map?id=673R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Entire Route: http://caltopo.com/map?id=4110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
22.23 mi. 5194' gross elev. gain

Thanks in advance for any beta or advice you may have.

Tom

Oh, BTW, survey info.: former professional guide and instructor trainer for many years, but entering my 60s and not the strong pup I once was.

Update: Recreation dot Gov reservation site says this about Lake Genevieve, The spur trail from Lake Genevieve heading west to a junction with the General Creek Trail can be hard to locate and follow.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Need Beta: Old Trail: Lk Genevieve due W to PCT

Post by paula53 »

That trail has not been maintained for decades. My notes for the TYT say that an old trail was once there, but it has been abandoned. Have you checked with Alex W. who maintains a web site, Tahoe to Whitney, and the Tahoe Yosemite Trail. He can tell you with great accuracy if that trail is still hikeable.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need Beta: Old Trail: Lk Genevieve due W to PCT

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks Paula,

I hiked past Genevieve this week. Interestingly, there is still a trail post marker at the NE corner of the lake indicating the trail. The post actually looks like the wood is fairly new. I also discovered the trail is shown on a 15 min. quadrangle published by WIlderness Press in Berkeley, based on USGS and last updated in 1990.

I didn't cross the creek and look for the trail this time as I was with my daughter who has to wear knee braces to hike and can't scramble because her knees will pop out of joint.

Maybe it would be helpful to create a sub-forum under the Information Booth entitled Non-Maintained Trails for abandoned trails and use trails.

Thanks again,
TH