Bishop Pass trail re-route after 2009 rockslide

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass trail re-route after 2009 rockslide

Post by steve_moran »

Hi, I'm thinking of doing a dayhike to Bishop Pass in September. The only other time I did this hike was BEFORE the rockslide in 2009 between the base of the Pass and the top caused a section of the trail to be re-routed.

1. I assume the re-routing work has been finished by now (at least until the next rockslide). Is this assumption correct?

2. Is there anything about the new route that makes it more difficult than the old route, such as loose footing on steep slopes, boulders to scramble over, etc.?

Thanx!
steve
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass trail re-route after 2009 rockslide

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

There is no warning posted on the Inyo NF site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 8&actid=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also there was a recent Conditions Report to Bishop Pass in which the member did not mention any difficulties using the trail: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =12#p84015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

There used to be a sign when you entered the rock slide area that said hike fast through and don't stop but it has been removed. I don't know when the trail was completed but I assume by the following year.

The work done there is a fine example of beautiful trail work and is not difficult by any standards. My only complaint which cannot be fixed is there is large crush rocks on allot of the upper sections that can be annoying on the feet but that is because there is no dirt to place on it.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

Some photos of the trail on August 22, 2012. As Rogue said, lots of rocks, with little fines in between.