Great Western Divide Loop Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
EasternSierra
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by EasternSierra »

Thinking about doing a Great Western Divide loop in 2 weeks. Starting at Roads End and going up to Sphinx Lakes, over Sphinx Col, Cinder Col, South Guard Lake and then either going over Longley Pass and heading to Lake Reflection then to East Lake, Junction Meadow, and back to Roads End.

OR taking the long route and going over MacLeod Pass and then down towards Lake South America, JMT, Forester Pass, and then back to Roads end along Bubbs creek.

Has anyone been over either of these routes or these passes recently and know what the snow conditions are like this year. I know it was a pretty dry winter so I'm thinking they may not be too bad by June 22nd or so? Let me know if you've been out there already and have any insight. Thanks!
Last edited by EasternSierra on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Great Western Divide Loop Question

Post by maverick »

There has not been any TR's of those crosscountry routes. Forester was reported
to have a lot of snow, but no reports from the East Lake corridor or Sphinx Lakes
route. Would guess that there is still quite a bit of snow at MacLeod area, and the
whole Longley to Sphinx Lakes route.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Has anyone at least crossed over Bubbs creek at Junction meadow on the way up to East Lake? Is the creek crossable this early in the season?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It can be quite difficult to cross in early season, though this year who knows, there is
an easier crossing point down stream a couple of hundred yards if the usual crossing
point is to difficult, just take your time, and bail if it seems outside your comfort level.
Try crossing as early in the day as possible, when the water levels will be lower, instead
of mid-day when water levels will be higher and the current much stronger.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Found a recent TR to East Lake and Lake Reflection: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=91537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EasternSierra
Topix Novice

Post by EasternSierra »

Awesome. That's good to know that Bubbs Creek is crossable now. I am guessing that late May would be higher water then mid-to-late June. I'll check with the rangers before we attempt anything too.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for starting this thread. I've also been watching for any current GWD tr's for updates and conditions. I'm leaving on July 18th for a similar route (Kaweah/Milestone/Thunder/Longely/Brewer/Sphinx) and would be interested in any info you have when you get back. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

I will be in all these areas the next 2 weeks and will be sure to post at least a conditions report. I will probably be the first party of the year in many of those spots.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks AlpineMike!
Pato
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pato »

I can't help with the conditions this year, but I did a similar loop last year. TR is here:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=9837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using MacLeod Pass - even though its rated as Class II we found it to be very slow, dangerous (rockfall), and just downright un-enjoyable. There is solid talus starting in Cunningham Creek at about 11,000'. If you end up going into the Kern drainage I would recommend using Longley and Thunder Pass (not Thunder Ridge) although it's a long day to go from Brewer to Casper Lake (Lake 10,880+) in one day. If you have time you may want to split it up into 2 days and use Longley, stop at Reflection and then ascend Milly's into the Kern the following day. Even though Milly's is Class III - it's very short and preferable to MacLeod IMO. All that being said, we really enjoyed the area...would definitely recommend staying at Big Brewer if you can.