Desolation: Barrett Lake Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation: Barrett Lake Trail

Post by rrivera »

I wanted to see if anyone has been up to the Wrights Lake area in Desolation in the last week or two? I know the lots at Wrights Lake are closed and I am planning an overnight trip in the Lawrence/Top Lake area next weekend. I saw the following post from about a month ago - http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 16&t=10896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & I'm also wondering if it's okay to leave a car parked overnight outside the gate….I'm assuming yes.

I will call the ranger station this week but was looking for some firsthand experience.

Thanks!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: Desolation: Barrett Lake Trail

Post by maiathebee »

"The closure of Wrights Lake due to downed trees adds almost 1 mile, each way, to hikes from Twin Lakes trailhead (hiking from parking lot outside Wrights Lake gate). Several downed trees near beginning of trail, clear until after trail starts to climb toward Grouse Lake outlet creek, then numerous large trees across trail requiring significant climbing or bushwacking to get over or around. Trail becomes very indistinct on approach to Grouse Lake outlet creek."

Looks like you can just park a bit out and walk in no problem. See http://desowv.org/trail-conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still a good idea to call, though. And let us know what you find when you get back :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: Desolation: Barrett Lake Trail

Post by maiathebee »

Text is about the Twin Lakes trail, but describes the parking situation...
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love