TR North Fork Big Pine Creek 6/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nightowl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR North Fork Big Pine Creek 6/3

Post by nightowl »

Thought I'd briefly share some photos from Big Pine showing trail conditions for anyone headed up there.

We headed up the North Fork hoping to see some frozen lakes, but all of the lakes had thawed completely. Although it was a little chilly and windy at night, we barely saw any other backpackers and there were no mosquitoes to worry about.
BigPineBlog-13.jpg
BigPineBlog-14.jpg
BigPineBlog-15.jpg
BigPineBlog-17.jpg
We camped between 4th and 5th Lakes, and turned in early due to the cold wind. We actually ended up moving our campsite to a more protected spot the next night, which allowed us to stay up a little later and enjoy some of the stars.

On our dayhike up to 6th, 7th, and Summit Lakes, we passed several patches of snow, but none that we could not walk around.
BigPineBlog-19.jpg
BigPineBlog-20.jpg
BigPineBlog-21.jpg
Summit Lake was by far our favorite. We didn't see a single other person there, had a nice swim, and enjoyed the picturesque views of the glacier and mountain range reflecting on the lake.
BigPineBlog-23.jpg
BigPineBlog-32.jpg
BigPineBlog-34.jpg
Can't wait to come back later in the summer when the lakes have acquired a more turquoise color!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR North Fork Big Pine Creek 6/3

Post by papasequoia »

Nice pics of a beautiful area!
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Nightowl for the TR and wonderful pictures. Yes those turquoise colored
lakes are very pretty and add a special touch to the area, but the snow on the
Palisades Crest and Temple Crag this time of the year does have its own special
look too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sandiegonate
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sandiegonate »

Nice pics and thanks for the TR! Did you make it up to Sam Mack Meadow? And do you think there's a good spot at Summit Lake to accommodate 4 tents? The original plan was to stay at 4th or 5th all 3 nights but the more I see Summit Lake the more I'd like to stay there. I'm heading up there next Tuesday. I'll take more snow on the peaks and less turquoise in the lakes to avoid crowds and skeeters. Super pumped!
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

We didn't try to make it up to Sam Mack because we were worried about encountering snow, and we were spent. However, it seems a lot of snow had melted in the week between Calitrails trip and our trip, so it could have been clear.

There was a nice campsite right off the trail as you reach the lake that could work, but didn't see any other obvious sites near the lake.

Have a great time!