Advice/conditions- Parker & Koip Peak Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rehbands
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Advice/conditions- Parker & Koip Peak Pass

Post by rehbands »

Hello, first post on this board. I'm moving out to NorCal area in August, but I couldn't wait that long so I planned a 4 person trip out to the Sierras in mid-June!

Our current plan is to start from the Mono Pass trailhead, hike through Parker & Koip Passes on the first day and camp at Alger Lakes. From there, we'll head down through Agnew Pass to Thousand Island Lake on the second day. On the third day, we plan on camping at Ediza Lake before exiting the trail at Agnew's Meadow on the 4th day.

My main concern is the conditions around Parker Peak and Koip Peak Pass. I called the ranger office and was told no one had been out there recently, but she ventured a guess that the pass would be covered with 2-3 ft of snow. Has anyone been out there recently and has better intel, or has hiked the pass when it's been covered with snow in the past? Are crampons/ice axe necessary, or can we get by with Yaxtrax and hiking poles? Any chance it melts out by June 17? :D

Are there any other areas of the trail I should be concerned about? Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do a trip report w/ pictures after my trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice/conditions- Parker & Koip Peak Pass

Post by maverick »

Hi Rehbands,

Welcome to HST! Please read before requesting trip advice: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Last report from that area was 5/14: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 855#p82855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice/conditions- Parker & Koip Peak Pass

Post by wildhiker »

On a June 20 hike in a more normal snow year (2008), there was no snow on the trail as far as Parker Pass, but lots of snow on the north faces of the mountains around the pass. Didn't go any farther that time. Previously did something similar to your hike in August 2003 (but returned to Tuolumne Meadows from 1000 Island Lake) and I would be concerned about Koip Peak Pass in mid June, even this year with low snowpack. The trail switchbacks up a very steep open slope on the north side of Parker Peak to 12,000 feet (remember, snow lingers longer on north slopes) with a lot of exposure - very dramatic, but not a place to slip on a snow bank! You could very quickly find yourself 2000 feet lower in the gorge of Parker Creek.

-Phil