FLorence Lake current water levels….& Lake Italy trail condi

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

FLorence Lake current water levels….& Lake Italy trail condi

Post by Thebrenner »

I have two questions……first I'm looking for some intel on the water level of Florence Lake. Anyone have any recent pictures (since Kaiser Pass opened) I've heard reports of 30% capacity to 60% capacity.
Second, anyone been up to Lake Italy yet. I know it is a bit early. I'm headed up that way late next week via Bear Creek. I'll post a trip report. Thx so much,
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: FLorence Lake current water levels….& Lake Italy trail condi

Post by AlmostThere »

Have fun walking in snow!

The lakes are low. They were low all last year, and will be low all year this year.

The ferry isn't running yet. They got a smaller boat in hopes that they can run in spite of the low water.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I went in from Pine Creek over Italy Pass 6 days ago. I'm not that familiar with the area, but if this is the same Lake Italy, the whole area up high was covered in snow. I don't have a picture of Lake Italy, but here's the east side of Italy Pass:
IMG_4362.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Very helpful photo Teresa: if the snow conditions were good, it was probably a nicer way to get over Italy Pass (than all the boulders!). And, I'm guessing the bugs were not too bad up there (yet)?
cg
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

This was taken the day after the last storm ended. The snow was not good then, but it was by the time I came out 2 days ago via Pine Creek Pass at the end of my long backpacking/peak climbing loop. Most of the new snow had melted by then, but Pine Creek Pass was still completely snowed in, so I assume Italy Pass was too.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Teresa for the photo :thumbsup:. CG is right on, doing Italy with "good" snow
conditions is a lot quicker.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Kinda guessed it would be covered in snow, but you cant beat up to dte reports now can you. :). Very nice Teresa. Thanks for the on the spot update!!!

As far as lake levels go, according to the Fresno Bee on Wednesday this week, Florence is at 62% capacity, with Edison only at 14%. While the level for Florence seems a bit high and I havent been up to verify, it being at 60% or so could be right. Florence was not as bad as Edison last year as it started with more water. Edison had been drawn down in the winter of 2012 (I think) to fill Shaver back up after dam rerpairs to Shaver and it never filled back up due to our drought conditions. Even when low, the Ferry can run longer at Florence than the one at Edison can. The Florence Lake ferry is near the dam in deep water, while the VVR ferry sits on a shelf a bit higher than the dam that dries up earlier forcing the VVR to go further and further from the resort until they call it quits. I've taken the Ferry at Florence when the lake was reported at 22% of capacity.

Theres a good chance I will go up on Sunday and dayhike up to Crater/Hidden Lakes with my son to stretch my old legs and wet a line. If I go, I'll post the lake conditions and the conditions up near Crater when I get back. Crater is only at ~9,400 and is pretty open so I figure we should be able toget to it based on the reports I've heard for the area.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Nice intel on florence vs.Edison! Don't be a stranger Theresa. A trip report would be awesome!