TR: Mt. Goethe and Alpine Col via Piute Pass, 24-26 May 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Mt. Goethe and Alpine Col via Piute Pass, 24-26 May 2014

Post by cgundersen »

hi orbitor,
I'm assuming you got a reasonably early jump over Alpine on your climbing day, but how was it on the return: could you just follow the same path without post-holing? And, was it soft enough to glissade in either direction? Maybe the photos will tell?
cg
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

It's been a tough short week so far. Thanks everyone who commented. My best chance of getting the TR done is tomorrow, so keep an eye on this thread. We have photos uploaded to various sites, so I can readily link to those.

To address some of the questions asked:

cdt7000 - Method of travel was foot. I'm not a skier, but would think the snow is too soft for that and not enough coverage in key places.

cgundersen - Alpine Col was very soft in the afternoon. We followed our own track back and postholed significantly on both sides of the divide. Especially worrisome were the sections right on the edge of the water - Lake 11910 on the south and the large Goethe Lake on the north. Went in to my hips a few times, requiring a lot of effort to escape. We didn't try glissading because we couldn't tell how deep the snow really was and rocks were sticking out all over the place.

rlown - The photos will make things a lot clearer.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Laserjet3051 »

Thanks orbitor for the info. I am planning a very similar 3 day trip over Piute Pass in ~4 weeks time. Still leaving open whether we go to Muriel/Goethe or Packsaddle Pass depending on conditions and other factors. What time did you leave the North Lake TH on Day 1?

Thanks.