Emigrant Wilderness Route Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emigrant Wilderness Route Planning

Post by rlown »

jmyers wrote:If you want fish, don't go to wire lakes. I tried there for a couple hours without a single nibble in perfect conditions. I failed at Long as well, but it was snowing and and very windy so I wouldn't count it out just yet.
What were you fishing with? which lakes? connecting streams? when? sorry for so many questions, i loved that area..

Russ
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

I've spent a good amount of time in the areas out of Crabtree and Gianelli….Leopold is by far one of my favorite places…the times I have been there I have had it to myself. I am not a fisher though and isolation is what I am seeking. I also think Wire Lakes are beautiful but definitely more crowded. I've been to Toejam, Y-Meadow and Chewing Gum all in early season (early June in low snow years) and it's a sqeet-fest…and that's just how it is but at least there is great swimming at Chewing Gum.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

For WD - I have been to Toejam, Leopold & Y Meadow Lakes - all very nice camping spots. Toejam seems to me likely to be the breeziest - but also maybe more meadow than at Y meadow (go figure that) lots of granite slabs around Y meadow. I would expect all to be skeeter city at that time.
My favorite is Pinto Lakes.
Can't comment on the fishing at any of those as I don't fish, and I haven't been to any of those with comrades who do.
jmyers
Topix Novice

Post by jmyers »

rlown wrote:
jmyers wrote:If you want fish, don't go to wire lakes. I tried there for a couple hours without a single nibble in perfect conditions. I failed at Long as well, but it was snowing and and very windy so I wouldn't count it out just yet.
What were you fishing with? which lakes? connecting streams? when? sorry for so many questions, i loved that area..

Russ
I was fishing with an assortment of lures, but can't remember what kind. It was last October so the streams were all dried up. I fished upper wire, long lake and deer lake. I had success on Deer lake, but just small guys, max 10 in. Still great fun in a beautiful place
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I've enjoyed peaceful camping and good fishing at Long Lake:

Looking NE across Long Lake from the west shore.

Looking SE across Long Lake from the west shore.

Fishing was slower at Y-Meadow Lake, but still decent. Plenty of secluded granite sites abound and the "sandy" (decomposed granite) shore and cool waters felt good on my tired feet:

Looking SW towards the outlet from the NE shore of Y-Meadow Lake.

Looking west from the NE shore of Y-Meadow Lake.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Goshawk
Topix Newbie

Emigrant Wilderness Route Planning

Post by Goshawk »

Went a different time of year 2 years ago. Emigrant Lake very memorable--we did it as 16 mile day hike from Gem Lake which isn't on your route but a nice small lake for camping/swimming--I believe 9.5 miles in from another trailhead along 108. We fished in Deer Lake (no luck) one lazy day, not as good for swimming as some others. We bagged a peak by Deer Lake and had very nice view of Long Lake I think (mentioned above), and were unfortunately out of time to explore it, but it looked really nice. We had good intel from people camped at Buck's Lake that they had really nice fishing by using the local bugs as lures.
Overall a very nice loop and there seem to be a lot of possible combinations for 4-5 days out there. There were a couple of so so stretches on first day, but elevation change very civilized, and once you're up there it's pretty great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jhoest
Topix Newbie

Post by jhoest »

First of all, thanks everyone for all the info. Based upon a few members suggestions, sounds like the creek crossings at various locations might make for some challenges on the route I initially planned, so sounds like the Gianelli trailhead might be a better bet than starting from Crabtree, and still gets me to where I would hopefully like to go.

I should have a good trip report for when I get back. Thanks again!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I called the FS yesterday and you have to park on the road and walk the last half mile to Gienelli. I decided to still go in Crabtree, to Bear Lake and x-c up to Granite Lake. This gets me the same place, avoids the lower Cherry Creek crossing, and avoids the potential snow problems just east of Geinelli. I suspect that elevations above 9,000 feet (less on north facing slopes) that are in forests will be very snowy. NWS forecasts quite cool temperatures next week. I am still undecided on where I will go - have another route in Desolation that I may do instead. I am headed out tomorrow and still not sure where I will go! Maybe I will run into you if I go to Emigrant.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just read the mosquito report- maybe I would rather deal with the snow at Gianelli than the mosquitoes at Crabtree!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

it might not matter in a week as the skeeters will be everywhere. walking the snow and crossing the 6' berms of snow in the trees beats stream crossings every time.