TR Dayhike to Mitchell Peak 5/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nightowl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by nightowl »

Did a 3 mile dayhike up to Mitchell Peak this past weekend from SEKI, thought I would post a short trip report.

The drive to the trailhead was bumpy and dusty, but nothing the Honda Accord couldn't handle. We were the only ones in the Marvin Pass TH dirt parking lot, and according to the register, we were the first group to hike the trail since last November.

We saw small patches of snow early on in the hike, but the weather was perfect for hiking.
P5170186.jpg
P5170243.jpg
P5170189.jpg
P5170198.jpg
After we passed the 2 mile marker, we continuously lost the trail as the snow patches covered more of the ground.
P5170203.jpg
At one point we had no idea where the trail was and just hiked up the mountain, now completely covered by snow.

We found a snow free ridge leading up the right side of the peak, and climbed up to enjoy the amazing 360 degree view from the peak.
P5170207.jpg
P5170226.jpg
P5170230.jpg
Although the trail was difficult to follow at times because of the snow, we didn't see a single person on the trail, and the view from the top was breathtaking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: TR Dayhike to Mitchell Peak 5/17

Post by seanr »

Thanks for posting. I summitted Mitchell on Thanksgiving Day almost five years ago. I tried to revisit the day after Thanksgiving this past fall, but was thwarted by a closed gate far from the trailhead. Your report may help folks who have been asking about visiting the area between Kings Canyon and Sequoia.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Nightowl for the TR and pictures! This time of the year any back-country info
is highly appreciated and very helpful. :thumbsup:
Any mosquitoes?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

No mosquitoes, weather was perfect!
evilgenius32
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by evilgenius32 »

Thanks for the TR. I am planning on going some time this week and this is perfect info. Thanks nightowl!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Nice photos and info; thanks for posting it.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

I went up there last sunday to hike up to mitchell pk., but the gate was still closed. Ranger sitting there, said memorial day weekend it would be open. Guess that date changed.
Cool trip report & photos! We're heading up to silliman crest and hopefully ranger & lost lake this weekend.. hopefully snow doesn't hide the trail too much.
Living On Kaweah Time
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Sounds like a great day - lots of snow in the distance.