Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin conditions in late June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ibSteve
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin conditions in late June

Post by ibSteve »

Hi!

My family (wife, two teenage boys) and I will be backpacking up Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin around the last week of June. I know this is very speculative, but I wonder what folks thought snow conditions might be like, in particular whether ice axes would still be needed. We are thinking of doing a day hike over Knapsack Pass possibly too.

Any thoughts on conditions or on interesting day hikes (e.g. we are going to scramble to Chocolate Peak - again, should we carry ice axes?) would be much appreciated!!

(I'm going to post a little blurb about us in the 'Lurkers' thread in a moment too!)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin conditions in late June

Post by maverick »

Hi Steve,

By the end of June you will not need any ice axes. We should have some TR's or
conditions updates on Bishop Pass and Dusy Basin area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I would be more worried about mosquitoes than snow.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Hi Steve,
My son and I did a similar trip last year. Like you, we came from the east coast. We find it's convenient to fly into Reno and drive down 395. We spent the first night in Mammoth (about 7K feet), then the next two nights at Parcher's resort (about 9k feet) in order to get acclimated. Then we started our hike. Note that this trail is surrounded by high peaks, more so than the previous trip you took. It was very windy when we went, maybe due to the high mountains on either side of the trail. The only place the wind could go was down the "canyon". At least that's my theory. Also, the sun "rose late" and "set early" because it took some amount of time to get over the peaks. This made for fewer hours of direct sunlight, and hence slightly cooler temps. Just my 2 cents worth. Remember, it's all good in the Sierra !
ibSteve
Topix Novice

Post by ibSteve »

Thanks everybody!!

Tom,
We are doing something very similar, coming up from LA (cheaper flights) and staying at Parcher's for 4 nights (my wife's friend from college will be visiting us with her family for a few days).

Schmalz,
Yea, I figured skeeters might be an issue. I spent too many of my formative year in the marshes of Delaware and Maryland so I'm used to being a human pin cushion but the rest of the family doesn't have that experience (isn't backpacking about experiencing new things?!). Actually, I'm hoping that the wind that Tom mentioned helps us with that. Any tips on dealing with the little winged beasts is always appreciated!
(BTW, my mom's maiden name was Schmatz, which, may - or may not - explain my fondness for that calorie laden goodness whenever I find myself in Freistaat Bayern!!)

Maverick, Helpful as always, thanks!!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

ibSteve,
I'll be going over Bishop pass in ~2 weeks, so I can certainly give you a heads up on snow/bug situations when I get out (which won't be till the 15th). But, unless there are some unseasonably huge storms, snow really should not be an problem. And, even if there is some left, it will be more along the lines of something to use to chill your beverages. Making the hop over Knapsack is also highly recommended; it's a good workout, but the memories will be worth every vertical step.
cameron
ibSteve
Topix Novice

Post by ibSteve »

Thanks Cameron!

Some lingering snow patches would be good for practicing self-arrest. We might take one ice axe for that purpose. And thanks for the note on Knapsack. I showed the family some old trip reports from that pass and there is a lot of enthusiasm - at the moment - for spending a night at Barrett Lake.

Have a good trip!
mjzorick
Topix Newbie

Post by mjzorick »

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll be going over Bishop Pass on 6/19 and hiking into Dusy Basin, traveling over Knapsack and Potluck passes for a three-nighter. I'm very interested in trail conditions and if crampons are needed.

Just checked the latest trail conditions on nps.gov and this is what was posted as of 6/4:
"Upper Dusy Lake frozen. Patchy snow on west side of Bishop Pass. Switchbacks covered in several feet of snow on east side of Bishop Pass."

Sounds like mosquitos will not be an issue but snow and ice may be.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I'm headed up there that week too. In on 6/17 and out on 6/19. Guess I won't make it back in time to post here before you head out, but if you flag me down on the trail I can tell you what I know! Solo girl with a pink baseball cap & blue pack.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mjzorick,

Welcome to HST! Please read: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org