HST Community      TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014 | High Sierra Topix  

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Postby jimmeans » Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 pm

I hiked up the South Fork of Cottonwood Creek to the South Fork Lakes area on 5/10/2014. My initial plan was to camp overnight to test out my new backpacking goodies, but the wind conditions made me decide to return that afternoon turning the trip into a day hike with full pack. I found virtually no snow along most of the route. The only snowfield that I encountered was near the junction of the old South Fork trail and the trail coming from the North Fork, and that snowfield was easily bypassed. I knew of the wind forecasts and hoped to find refuge at Cirque Lake, but I encountered other hikers coming from Cirque Lake who said the wind conditions were just as bad there.

P1000081.png

P1000083.png

P1000086.png

P1000091.png

These last two photos are a demonstration of the zoom capabilities of my new Panasonic DMC-ZS40.

P1000097.png

P1000098.png
You must register an account and login to view the files/photos attached to this post.

jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Postby maverick » Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the TR and pictures of the area. It seems the windy conditions affected
everyone who was out this past weekend.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination, and where the trail ends is where our adventures begin.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby KathyW » Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm

It's nice to hear that I wasn't alone out in the wind. It wasn't bad until after 2 pm where I was, but then it just started blowing like crazy. I went from a t-shirt to a puffy jacket in no time at all.

Thanks for the photos and report!
KathyW
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby Vaca Russ » Sat May 17, 2014 8:59 am

Jim,

Thanks for the report. I really like the picture of Langley!

I climbed Mt. Ralston in Deso that same day and the wind was howling up north as well!

Thanks,

-Russ
"I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!”

James Michener
Tales of The South Pacific
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby cgundersen » Sun May 18, 2014 11:57 am

Jim,
Great insight into how things look out there;! I had to delay my first trip into early June, because of work issues, but with the snow forecast for next week, I'm hoping that the bug bloom will ease off a bit. I'm guessing there will be a few more reports over the next couple weeks as more folks venture into the low-snow backcountry. Obviously, the tracks over NAP indicate that the surge has begun. Thanks for the report.
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping