TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014 | High Sierra Topix  

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Postby jimmeans » Mon May 12, 2014 3:57 pm

I hiked up the South Fork of Cottonwood Creek to the South Fork Lakes area on 5/10/2014. My initial plan was to camp overnight to test out my new backpacking goodies, but the wind conditions made me decide to return that afternoon turning the trip into a day hike with full pack. I found virtually no snow along most of the route. The only snowfield that I encountered was near the junction of the old South Fork trail and the trail coming from the North Fork, and that snowfield was easily bypassed. I knew of the wind forecasts and hoped to find refuge at Cirque Lake, but I encountered other hikers coming from Cirque Lake who said the wind conditions were just as bad there.

P1000081.png
Main Cottonwood Lakes Trail crossing at South Fork

P1000083.png
Old cabin along South Fork Cottonwood Creek

P1000086.png
Cirque Peak

P1000091.png
Mount Langley

These last two photos are a demonstration of the zoom capabilities of my new Panasonic DMC-ZS40.

P1000097.png
Wide angle view towards New Army Pass

P1000098.png
Zoomed view of NAP, tracks visible in snow

jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: SF Cottonwood Creek 5/10/2014

Postby maverick » Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks for the TR and pictures of the area. It seems the windy conditions affected
everyone who was out this past weekend.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby KathyW » Mon May 12, 2014 5:33 pm

It's nice to hear that I wasn't alone out in the wind. It wasn't bad until after 2 pm where I was, but then it just started blowing like crazy. I went from a t-shirt to a puffy jacket in no time at all.

Thanks for the photos and report!
KathyW
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby Vaca Russ » Sat May 17, 2014 9:59 am

Jim,

Thanks for the report. I really like the picture of Langley!

I climbed Mt. Ralston in Deso that same day and the wind was howling up north as well!

Thanks,

-Russ
” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby cgundersen » Sun May 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Jim,
Great insight into how things look out there;! I had to delay my first trip into early June, because of work issues, but with the snow forecast for next week, I'm hoping that the bug bloom will ease off a bit. I'm guessing there will be a few more reports over the next couple weeks as more folks venture into the low-snow backcountry. Obviously, the tracks over NAP indicate that the surge has begun. Thanks for the report.
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping