Parking & Emptying/Cleaning Out Cars

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Parking & Emptying/Cleaning Out Cars

Post by robow8 »

Thanks for the answers. I have some additional questions. This is my first trip in over 20 years; so I want to be sure everything will be okay. That trip was the Silver Moccasin Trail from Lodgepole to Roads End. When we got there, someone else's car had been broken into. We were a couple of spots away!

We are taking our minivan, so no trunk. Is a suitcase safe? Are toiletries in the suitcase a no no?

We are staying at Curry Village before the hike. Should we just leave our car there? We are doing a 6 day loop up Illilouette, over Red Peak Pass, and back through LYV.

Thanks for all of the help!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Parking & Emptying/Cleaning Out Cars

Post by AlmostThere »

Toiletries are among the things that go in bear canisters and bear lockers - anything you put on your skin or in your mouth, or things that contained those items, go in bear resistant containers. So yes, toiletries are a no no.

Put a blanket in the car to cover over bags, boxes, suitcases etc that contain no scented items. Bears will break in to investigate anything that LOOKS like it might have something interesting in it.