Yosemite, Bishop, Desolation Wilderness trip - need info

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite, Bishop, Desolation Wilderness trip - need info

Post by amigo »

Thanks for all the great info. Really looking forward to it :)
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Welcome to the Sierra Nevada!

Considering the places you originally mentioned, I believe Cloud's Rest would have the most spectacular views. 360 degrees and across the Yosemite valley. It's a long day hike, but worth it.

Sure we couldn't talk you into doing a litttle research, renting some rear, and trying an over nighter? The weather should be moderate, no mosquitoes, plenty of company if you're on the popular trails.
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

> Sure we couldn't talk you into doing a litttle research, renting some rear, and trying an over nighter?

Been there, done that. I tried convincing my friend to camp out in the wild on at least one occasion but he isn't interested. I'm not going with the same friend I went with a few years ago when we backpacked into Ansel Adams Wilderness for a few nights. We'll enjoy it nonetheless. It's simply gorgeous up there.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Yeah, any hiking in the mountains is nice.

The one time I was on Cloud's Rest, the only other people there were a mom and dad with five kids aged about five to twelve! Pretty cool how they all seemed right at home scrambling around on the rocks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Balance,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Maverick

Nice website. Glad I found you folks. It was either this, or go to forum where I could talk about my cell phone. ;)