TR: Pinyon Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Pinyon Creek (John Muir Wilderness)

Post by maverick »

Would be interesting to see what fall colors one could find near those waterfalls
in the first picture, and all up the creek during October. Was very pleasantly surprise
by the outstanding fall colors we witnessed going Goodale Creek in November during
our search. Thanks for posting these great photos Ray.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

P1110403.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

You're welcome. Those willows & maples will hopefully be colorful in the winter. Two more pictures:

Here's one with cottonwoods or aspens in lowest section of creek near parking lot.
P1110429.JPG
This second shot is my Saturday night sleeping spot under a boulder. The boulder was the only sheltered spot I found, it's in the small tributary (which was dry) to the south of main Pinyon Creek and before climbing up and to the right to get on top of the mesa.
P1110386.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Dittli »

rcymbala wrote:
P1110403.JPG
this gully in Pinion Creek is a somewhat common, local, ski descent in BIG years! Easier to get through with snow!
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail