Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

Post by markskor »

Mammoth Lakes has free shuttle buses everywhere.
If staying over this summer, suggest 2 adventures w/ no car needed:

If fishing, (license needed), from the Village area (a free bus nexus), take the free Twin Lakes bus all the way past Twin Lakes to Lake George - good stocker fishing NE side, also could fish the exit of Mamie, (BTW, return bus comes every half hour summertime)...or fish the waterfall area of Upper Twin, or...or screw fishing - take the bus up and walk down...multiple lakes, maybe visit the old mines?

or pack a lunch and take the same bus to Horseshoe Lake (above Mary). Hike up to McLeod Lake (easy) and then over Mammoth Pass and about 1.5 hour hike down a scenic trail to Reds Meadow Resort...Old time milkshakes :thumbsup: the rest of the menu :thumbsdown: - (why?...too expensive for words). Down at Reds another free bus takes you on a low loop - easy hikes to see Rainbow Falls - Devil's Postpile - Sotcher Lake - Agnew Meadows and back. A $7 pp bus from DPP takes you back up the hill to the Main Ski Lodge - and another free bus there meets / takes you down again to the Village - where another free bus also connects you to Vons and the rest of Mammoth.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

I did rainbow falls > devils postpile as a kid and loved it. Thats definitely on the list.

We were originally planning on camping out atleast one night but instead were gonna spend all 3 nights in a condo or hotel so we have more time for everything else.

Short hikes are definitely doable but anything more than a few miles and i might end up carrying my daughter and dragging the rest lol. :-/

This thread will make a great reference during the trip. Thanks for all the info you guys are awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk