Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Mammoth Lakes Vacation, Advice Request

Post by sheperd80 »

Snow Nymph wrote:http://www.visitmammoth.com/things-to-d ... ctivities/

http://www.mammothrentalbyowner.com/mam ... php?id=254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We rent this out :D
Thanks, sounds perfect. PM sent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

I don't have much to add to the "find a place to stay and just go, you'll find tons of great stuff to do while you are there" except that if camping is an option there are tons of places to do it. And also that there are fun festivals in town many weekends during the summer.

Have fun!

Andy
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Mammoth Lakes has free shuttle buses everywhere.
If staying over this summer, suggest 2 adventures w/ no car needed:

If fishing, (license needed), from the Village area (a free bus nexus), take the free Twin Lakes bus all the way past Twin Lakes to Lake George - good stocker fishing NE side, also could fish the exit of Mamie, (BTW, return bus comes every half hour summertime)...or fish the waterfall area of Upper Twin, or...or screw fishing - take the bus up and walk down...multiple lakes, maybe visit the old mines?

or pack a lunch and take the same bus to Horseshoe Lake (above Mary). Hike up to McLeod Lake (easy) and then over Mammoth Pass and about 1.5 hour hike down a scenic trail to Reds Meadow Resort...Old time milkshakes :thumbsup: the rest of the menu :thumbsdown: - (why?...too expensive for words). Down at Reds another free bus takes you on a low loop - easy hikes to see Rainbow Falls - Devil's Postpile - Sotcher Lake - Agnew Meadows and back. A $7 pp bus from DPP takes you back up the hill to the Main Ski Lodge - and another free bus there meets / takes you down again to the Village - where another free bus also connects you to Vons and the rest of Mammoth.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I did rainbow falls > devils postpile as a kid and loved it. Thats definitely on the list.

We were originally planning on camping out atleast one night but instead were gonna spend all 3 nights in a condo or hotel so we have more time for everything else.

Short hikes are definitely doable but anything more than a few miles and i might end up carrying my daughter and dragging the rest lol. :-/

This thread will make a great reference during the trip. Thanks for all the info you guys are awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk