Planning for my 2014 trek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning for my 2014 trek

Post by alpinemike »

Hey Rogue.

My friend who is a ranger in SEKI traveled from South Guard Lake down Cunningham Creek last year and said that most of it had a game trail that was relatively followable. He said he did it at late when the sun was setting and he recommended that it would have been a better choice during the day. That seems to follow in line with what others have said. I'm planning myself to travel down Cunningham creek at some point as well this summer during a trip that takes me through a large part of Sequoia. The full trip I posted in the topic heading of 2014 trips.

As a side note: My friend and I are planning on finishing the JMT and I'm pretty sure we'll be heading through Reds Meadow and that part of the JMT around the time of when you're with the trail crews. Do you have any idea where they are going to be and where you'll be camped? I've read all of your reports and your photographs are fantastic (I'm a photographer myself) and I always find it cool to bump into people I read about online. You've definitely inspired me to try and get out there for longer periods of time as much as I can.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Even if you don't work with us your certainly welcome to stop by for dinner and have a beer or soda depending on what you like. We camp at the back end of the Red's Meadow pack station. Enter into it from the main road and just cut straight through until you see where everyone is set up.

There is a chance the crew might be in Fish Creek for a few days though.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

That's great. Our plan is to stay at the campground actually so that makes it ideal. I think we might actually get in there on the 28th of June but potentially a few days later. It depends on when we start and when we get our permit out of the valley. I plan on getting to Reds in 5 days from the valley. That is definitely a bit of a push but since we've done that part and want more time in the Southern half we'll deal with it. The trails are also fairly tame and there are no brutal passes, of course with the exception of the climb out of the valley. This time though we won't be dumb and try and carry 11 days of food out of there but only 3 just to get us to Tuolumne where we'll ship a package.

Hoping to exchange some stories.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;