Cascade Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
restrac2000
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Cascade Valley

Post by restrac2000 »

I am planning and SHR & JMT hybrid hike this September. I am hoping to hit Iva Bell after resupplying at Reds Meadow. I would like to take the trail through Cascade Valley to reconnect with the JMT downstream of Tully Hole. In searching the internet I have seen reports that this section of trail was affected by the big wind storms of 2011. Does anyone have beta regarding the trails condition through Cascade Valley?

Thanks in Advance.

Phillip
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cascade Valley

Post by maverick »

Hi Phillip,

Welcome to HST! Read this TR from 2013 in which the author mentions the great work the
trail crews did clearing out the debris: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10436#p78810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's amazing to see how many trees were down in Fish Creek. A 6 man crew with chainsaws took more than 2 months to clear 2 miles of trail in there.

The trail should be plenty clear when you get there. We will be clearing any downed trees in that area this July.
restrac2000
Topix Newbie

Post by restrac2000 »

Thanks for the reply and link. Looks like its a go. Looking forward to doing a little fishing along the way if daylight allows. Would be great to have a fish or two to cook up over the fire at camp that night.

Good to know how dry it already was in August. Currently permitted for a September journey and with this year's epic drought its gonna be worse from everything I have read and can imagine. I am use to carrying 3-5 quarts through the desert SW so 2 quarts will be fine but definitely add to my idealized weight.

Thanks for such a warm welcome to HST. Have been impressed with the site and overall friendliness of the forum. Hope I can contribute in the future. Can't wait for my 2 week trip.

Phillip
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Phillip wrote:
Hope I can contribute in the future. Can't wait for my 2 week trip.
Looking forward to reading your TR when you get back. :thumbsup:
Wish you a fun & safe trip.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tkostan
Topix Newbie

Post by tkostan »

Phillip,

I just returned from a trip from Rock Creek/Mosquito Flats to Reds through Cascade Valley (reverse route you will take). The Cascade Valley leg was the highlight of the trip. The damage from the wind storm was substantial. You feel like you are going through a tree cemetary. But the Forest Service has done a great job of clearing the trees. No issues there at all.

However, further south on the trail, it looks like the flash flooding form a few weeks ago has caused quite a bit of damage to the trail, in a few runoff spots. These are navigable, but require a little work to get through the trees. It is amazing how much sand has been poured into Fish Creek. The bottom is sandy for miles. I'm sure this has affected the fish-life.... but not to worry, we caught many fish in this area. Much easier on the bare feet with the sand :)

Enjoy your adventure!

Ty
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi TY,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for supplying this information in an effort to help a fellow
HST member. Would be great to read about your adventure through the area. :)