2012 Yosemite Slam Trip Pics

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2012 Yosemite Slam Trip Pics

Post by oldranger »

Days 7 and 8

One more sunset pic
IMG_4121.jpg
On day 8 we headed up to Middle and Upper Florence.
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4135.jpg
After negotiating one of the nasties talus field I've ever encountered Upper Florence turned out to be a shallow tarn that was not particularly attractive. Mark in the meantime stayed at Middle Florence and eventually returned to camp. I returned to Middle Florence then to camp via a different route that provided some unexpected returns.
IMG_4146.jpg
For Tehipte Tom, some wildflower pics…..
IMG_4151.jpg
IMG_4156.jpg
IMG_4158.jpg
To be continued

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Days 9-10--Florence to Harriet lakes

On day 8 we went down Florence Creek aways before traversing west to intersect the High Trail. Saved a few hundred feet of vertical but not sure the cross-country route saved either time or energy over dropping down to the trail.
IMG_4161.jpg
The following are views off of the High Trail
IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg
Actually route from trail to Harriet was a piece of cake! Original Itinerary called for a layover day at the Harriets but the days at Florence Lakes put us behind schedule so we just a single night at the Harriets
IMG_4175.jpg
IMG_4177.jpg
IMG_4182.jpg
IMG_4186.jpg
IMG_4198.jpg
more to come

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Days 11-13 Harriets to Merced Peak Fork/Edna Lake

On day 11 Mark and I headed around Big Harriet to the sw corner then over and down a little pass where I sampled the fishing (Thanks Rogue for noticing fish when you passed by! I passed this lake by on my previous visit, which may have been fortuitous since on my arrival at big Harriet on that trip I witnessed the frolicking of a pair of naked nymphs). From this lake we worked our way down to the high trail but forsook the roundabout trail and plunged down off trail and traversed our way down to the trail just above the junction of the Merced River trail and the Red Peak Pass trail. A nifty piece of navigation if I do say myself! We then followed the trail up and over the ridge then down to The Merced Peak fork, Mark whining the entire way. :-({|= We establish a camp a hundred or so yards below the trail crossing. We would spend 3 nights here.
IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_4204.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg
IMG_4229.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4232.jpg
IMG_4236.jpg
To be continued

Mike
Mike

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Days 14-16 Merced Peak Fork to Adair, layover day, Adair to Washburn.

Before this trip I had been to Adair two times on both occasions I arrived and departed on separate routes, this would be no different, This time we started on the route we took with Tehipte Tom in 2009 but just as we got to the place where we began a long traverse to go around the ridge that separates Red Peak Fork from Gray peak Fork we called an audible and decided to follow a sparse treelike that went almost directly up the ridge.
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4242.jpg
Before we knew it we topped out and were confronted with a few hundred feet of steep but not too nasty talus.
IMG_4246.jpg
At the bottom it was a piece of cake to Adair. In my 3 trips there is only one photo of Adair! It was taken in 2007 on a trip with my daughters. So for the sake of giving you a view here is the pic from 2007.
P1000450.jpg
What always stands out at Adair is the evening views of the southern end of the Cathedral Range--Florence, McClure, and Lyle.
IMG_4254.jpg
After our layover day we would hike the next 4 days to the conclusion of our trip. From about day 12 on we were both lamenting that we were down to a week or less on our trip! Our exit from Adair was to head down canyon a bit then head over the ridge and travel e until we returned to the Red Peak fork. Dropping down the canyon wall was a bit dicey but we managed just fine. There were lots of great slabs at the bottom of the canyon and fish in the creek (never spotted any in Red Devil or the upper reaches of Red Peak Fork).
IMG_4262.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
Due to low water the ford across the Merced was only about knee deep. We managed to find a passable campsite just below the outlet of Washburn.
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4272.jpg
to be concluded!

Mike
Mike

Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

This is AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting the photos and commentary. I'm looking forward to summer even more now.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Day 17-19--Washburn, Merced Lake, Echo Lake, Tuolumne meadows

Day 17 was a really short day, almost a layover--Washburn to Merced Lake backpackers camp. pressure was on, though as we had yet to catch a brown trout. So we had to set up camp then head out to fish.
Fish caught the fishing was completed though I did have the option of fishing at Echo Lake (but chose not to).
IMG_4282.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg
On day 18 we split up. Mark heading down to the valley via little Yosemite Hikers Camp and I heading up Cathedral Creek to Echo Lake.
IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg
Last day
IMG_4298.jpg
IMG_4300.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4304.jpg
The, the thats all folks!

Stay tuned for 2012 car/great lodge/ hiking trip to Glacier NP/ Waterton Lakes

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike

FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

What an awesome trip. :thumbsup: Great pictures too. Thank you both for sharing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Sometimes it was hard to get mark moving!
LOL, who could blame the guy.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

You two are quite the pair!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Great report and photos. That was a creative, fascinating route - a lot of my favorite Yosemite places. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the Glacier report.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com