Bishop Pass and Piute Pass snow in late January

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass and Piute Pass snow in late January

Post by cgundersen »

I know that webcams and locals are great sources regarding the snow levels in the central Sierra, but when you're stuck in LA, it's always great to get out for a first hand (foot) peek. So, my wife and I spent one day tramping up toward Piute Pass and a second toward Bishop Pass in late January. We've frequently encountered more snow in June than we did in January, so for those thinking about early trips this year, even given the snow dollop in late February, here's what we were looking at in January:
cg
022.pdf
010.pdf
016.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass and Piute Pass snow in late January

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the recon photos CG.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Bishop Pass and Piute Pass snow in late January

Post by scottg1178 »

Great picture of Long Lake....rare shot.