What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by Electra »

I am a bachelor w/o family for eight weeks (june & july) so I am hoping to get two good trips in, one in mid/late june and one in mid july. The June one will be the bigger of the two and I am sorting thru a number of options but seem to be fixating on a Black and White theme that can hopefully include both White Divide and Black Divide. Both are areas I have only marginally been around and explored so I am trying to come up with a solid week long route taking advantage of the long days and accounting for the pros and cons of snow and runoff. There are so many variables and trip variations regarding west or east side entry, various passes, basins to explore, etc.. that this has been a fun one to research.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Whitney Portal to Crabtree Meadow, then up Wallace Creek to Tulainyo Lake. I've experienced Cheyne-Stokes occassionally at night. Hope I can sleep okay. If not, I'll watch the stars for a while.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Cedar Grove to Grouse Lake / Goat Mountain via the Copper Creek Trail May 10/11 unless this storm closed the road down to Cedar Grove.

Overnight trip to Half Dome June 6-7

Overnight trip to Birch Lake / The Thumb June 20-21

Shadow Lake Trail to Lake Ediza and Mount Ritter - July 5-7

A couple of peaks in the Palisades from the west - August 5-9

I'd also like to do a short trip to Washington or Colorado over the summer and do a few other Sierra peaks like Camberlin, Newcomb, Seven Gables, Gemini.......

I also would love to go to the Trinity Alps.

I never even do half of what I want to; so we'll just see how it all goes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We went to Trinity Alps in late Fall - the fall colors were fabulous, no mosquitoes and few people except some hunters. Hope you get there- I think you will enjoy it. Some years Trinity Alps are still open after the high Sierra gets snow.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

In July, I'm planning a 5 day starting out of Chiquito TH to middle Chain, layover on day two and see if I can't bag Gale and Sing Peaks. XC over to Lillian, day 4 XC over to upper Jackass, and day 5 out to Jackass TH.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

cmon4day wrote:In July, I'm planning a 5 day starting out of Chiquito TH to middle Chain, layover on day two and see if I can't bag Gale and Sing Peaks. XC over to Lillian, day 4 XC over to upper Jackass, and day 5 out to Jackass TH.
Nice trip.

Russ
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:We went to Trinity Alps in late Fall - the fall colors were fabulous, no mosquitoes and few people except some hunters. Hope you get there- I think you will enjoy it. Some years Trinity Alps are still open after the high Sierra gets snow.
This year the far north was even drier than the Sierra, so I would bet the Trinities are good for early trips as well.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the info on the Trinity Alps. I had thought about early, but not late. About when would one expect to see good fall colors in that area?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

KathyW wrote:
Cedar Grove to Grouse Lake / Goat Mountain via the Copper Creek Trail May 10/11 unless this storm closed the road down to Cedar Grove.

Overnight trip to Half Dome June 6-7

Overnight trip to Birch Lake / The Thumb June 20-21

Shadow Lake Trail to Lake Ediza and Mount Ritter - July 5-7

A couple of peaks in the Palisades from the west - August 5-9

I'd also like to do a short trip to Washington or Colorado over the summer and do a few other Sierra peaks like Camberlin, Newcomb, Seven Gables, Gemini.......

I also would love to go to the Trinity Alps.

I never even do half of what I want to; so we'll just see how it all goes.
Don't see you listing the Meet-up, we wont be seeing you in Wallace? :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

maverick wrote:
Don't see you listing the Meet-up, we wont be seeing you in Wallace? :(
Looks like it's just gonna be me, you & Jim.