What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by Shawn »

I've been thinking about a short exploration loop of the Monarch Divide. Looks as though it would be quiet and infrequently traveled.
http://caltopo.com/map?id=1J54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Shawn,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

The pass on the route between Swamp Lakes and Slide Lakes looks quite steep on the map. Do you know how hard it is?
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Nice route except from Swamp to Slide looks questionable where I circled.
Instead:
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the realistic feedback guys (got your PM too Mav). I am still dabbling with the actual route and timing of the hike -so your thoughts are helpful. For example I'll use SSDave's suggested route from Swamp to Slide.

I'm still mulling over the actual off-trail aspect, which could change quite a bit. While I have other trips on my agenda for the summer, and with all of the beautiful areas in the Sierra, for reasons I can't explain this part of the Monarch Divide fascinates me.

Much appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That pass is Gimme Pass: HST Map very easy class 2, the lake south of the pass is a beautiful turquoise color. The Monarch Divide is well worth the visit, it is one of the least visited sections of the Sierra, especially the western end of it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Cool, thanks Mav!
ulu
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by ulu »

Gonna shoot for the jmt early june, if doable.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote:That pass is Gimme Pass: HST Map very easy class 2, the lake south of the pass is a beautiful turquoise color. The Monarch Divide is well worth the visit, it is one of the least visited sections of the Sierra, especially the western end of it.
To be clear, Gimme Pass is the pass on SSSDave's map, not the pass on Shawn's map. I've done Gimme and yes, it's no problem. No idea about yours, though.

I've always wanted to get up to those higher Swamp Lakes as well. How much give is there in your schedule? If you have a margin built in, then it might be worth it to try and if it doesn't go, you backtrack and go around Dave's way. My guess is that there'll be something doable, even if it entails following the ridgeline or going over the top of Point 11087.

ETA: and I'll second maverick's comment: that whole area is spectacular and splendidly isolated. I led a trip up there in 2001, and we didn't see another soul for 7 days. Lake 9599 and West Kennedy Lake are particular favorites of mine.

ETA2: If you do end up doing the route on Dave's map, it's worth considering dropping down to Lake 9046 and then following the gentle slopes back up rather than traversing all the way. Yes, it's a 400' drop and then gain, but the route as shown involves a quarter mile or so of giant-block talus that I really, really hated. It was one of those takes-an-enormous-amount-of-time-to-go-a-ridiculously-short-distance type deals. So I'm not sure the drop & gain would really be any worse, plus you'd get to see another lake into the bargain. Just food for thought.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Tom, thanks very much for the expertise and words of experience with the area. I do have enough time to be flexible and back-track as needed for safe travel. As it happens I've looked at the map so much that it' should look like an old familiar hike by the time I get there.

My inspiration started with some words by H. Voge in his book "A climbers guide to the high Sierra" (http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/climb ... anyon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). In it, he describes peaks of the Monarch Divide and says "The Tehipite Valley may be reached from Cedar Grove by crossing the Monarch Divide at Happy Gap and following down the east bank of Silver Creek. Thus I started looking at the descent to Tehipite but came to the realization how unlikely of a route it would be today. Instead, I'm looking forward to exploring the other areas.