What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by rlown »

in Trinity, if you get beyond the roads, and 2 miles back, you might not see hunters. But you might. I did 10 miles back towards Ward lk , and hunting. wear the orange.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

So many plans!

--My first solo! Trinity Alps this weekend!
--A few trips to Desolation Wilderness already permitted for June & July.
--My first time on a Three Letter Acronym Trail... I'm doing the HST west to east in August.
--Headed to Glacier NP in August.
--Probably some more local weekend trips around the bay area :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
1866yellowboy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by 1866yellowboy »

Planned a 130 mile semi loop in Yosemite, still thinking of ways to make it longer. The trip is through the 10 lakes to Tuolumne, then down to Reds Meadow where I'll resupply. From there I'll go west through Hemlock crossing and over Isberg Pass making my way up to Vogelsang and back to Tuolumne. I'll have all the time in the world so I may change some of it to get a few extra days in.
Backpackingmom
Topix Novice

Post by Backpackingmom »

Next weekend (June 18-21) we are hiking a 50miler up Piute Pass, Hutchinson's Meadow area. need to train for our July trip.

In July, we will hike the Colorado Trail (CT) - from Denver to Durango. The total trail miles will be near 500 - may bag a few 14ers if we have time. Taking 35 days to complete the CT. Cannot wait!!!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Let us know how the Colorado Trail goes! I am intersted in it myself, since my daughter and family live in Durango.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

heading out in 2 weeks for a mix of Muir Trail, Sierra High Route and off trail to get from Tenaya Lake to Whitney in around 3 1/2 weeks. We'll be on the trail around June 25 and hope to exit on July 17. Still not absolutely certain what route we'll take, but we are already packing food.
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

So far I have a few trips on the books, although more to add I am sure as time allows....

1. A trip back into Bear Lakes basin in a couple weeks. Not sure if we will be doing the High Route from Mcgee Pass South to Piute or some other variation over Italy Pass, etc.

2. A trip hopefully to Tunemah Lake in July. We tried to get there a couple years ago but bit off more than we could chew with a week's worth of time going in over Lamarck and exiting Bishop Pass. We had to bypass the lake and continue down into Tehipite Valley. Would love to get there this year and fish. We are thinking of entering via Echo Col, going through Ionian Basin to lake 10232, exiting Tunemah Lake either by the Tunemah Trail route or by dropping into Goddard Canyon and up Rambaud Creek to Rambaud pass and out Bishop Pass. If we decide on not doing this route then we would do a traverse the Black Divide instead.

3. A traverse of the Great Western Divide via Kearsarge Pass and out Shepherds Pass. We are thinking of getting up Brewer from East Lake and then accessing the peaks via the west slope, fishing and making our way down the divide towards either the HST, or if time allows exiting via Triple Divide Peak area back to the JMT and out Shepherds Pass.

4. Thunderbolt to Sill traverse via camping in Barrett Lakes Basin....looking forward to the fishing.

I have a few other trips in mind that I'd like to execute this summer but will have to see how time allows for them to play out(Miter Basin, Gardiner basin, Arrow Peak region).