What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by Jimr »

July - Meetup in via old army pass and out via shephard pass. Two buddies coming with me. One a member who lurks.

August - I'm taking my son over Pine Creek into French Canyon and spending a week fishing all of the lakes on the fly.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

ucangler wrote:
So far:
- Coastal Rainbow
- Kern River Rainbow

Needed:
- Little Kern Golden
- Volcano Creek Golden (aka CA Golden)
- LCT
- Paiute CT
Can I suggest that you set your sights on another California trout species other than the Paiute? As of now, the native drainage for Paiutes is being "treated" (for back of a better term) so the chances of catching a Paiute in its native drainage (at least legally) are slim to none. Like Troutdog said, there are three redband species and one cutthroat specie that you might consider instead. Yes, there are a few places in CA you can still catch Paiutes, but in order to qualify for the HTC certificate, it needs to be caught in its native drainage and the other places where Paiutes exist are not in that drainage.

and to keep this thread on topic: at least two (possibly three) backpacking trips, one to the French Canyon vicinity, the other in the Hoover Wilderness and maybe one to Carson Iceberg. I'm also planning an extended trip to Idaho and Montana for some flyfishing bliss. :D
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ucangler
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ucangler »

Yes, Troudog had mentioned to me that it might be closed due to the treatments. I wasn't sure if it was still ok above "the falls" as far as I researched , the treatment was below. In any case, as a conservationist, i'll will be making sure that it is ok and/or seek other sub species to photograph.

PS: I want to go in French Canyon as well, but will most likely be doing that in a few years as I have other places on my sights. Not to mention that I went to Humphreys Basin 2 year ago and would like a good amount of time to pass between trips before going back to FCanyon the same way via Paiute Pass.
Fly Guy Dave wrote:
ucangler wrote:
So far:
- Coastal Rainbow
- Kern River Rainbow

Needed:
- Little Kern Golden
- Volcano Creek Golden (aka CA Golden)
- LCT
- Paiute CT
Can I suggest that you set your sights on another California trout species other than the Paiute? As of now, the native drainage for Paiutes is being "treated" (for back of a better term) so the chances of catching a Paiute in its native drainage (at least legally) are slim to none. Like Troutdog said, there are three redband species and one cutthroat specie that you might consider instead. Yes, there are a few places in CA you can still catch Paiutes, but in order to qualify for the HTC certificate, it needs to be caught in its native drainage and the other places where Paiutes exist are not in that drainage.

and to keep this thread on topic: at least two (possibly three) backpacking trips, one to the French Canyon vicinity, the other in the Hoover Wilderness and maybe one to Carson Iceberg. I'm also planning an extended trip to Idaho and Montana for some flyfishing bliss. :D
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Hey UC, PM sent.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

The only firm trips on the calendar are 20 Lakes Basin for a couple days July 3/4 and my Whitney day permit for July 18. Surely there will be more...hopefully.
J ney
Topix Acquainted

What are you planning for 2014?

Post by J ney »

Hmm... I'm shooting for a few days near Lake Ediza in June (I'm sure the mosquitoes will give me extra motivation to climb Ritter and Clyde). A few days in the Palisades in July (eyeing the Swiss Arete on Mt Sill and maybe Temple Crag), and hopefully I can find time to do section 4 or 5 of the SHR (if I can escape from work).

That's what has be most excited. A trip up Whitney's East Butt might be in the works too if I can find the right people :)
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Going to go to yosemite for a backpack next week! just put it together so I am pretty excited to get out of town
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Hopefully this year I will start working on my Heritage Trout Challenge. So the plans for 2014 hopefully include a week long trip into the golden trout wilderness and kern drainages. Also, making a return trip up to 1,000 island lake with some friends. Later in the year I am hoping to head over Taboose for the first time and into lake basin. All of this of course is tentative, but hopefully I will see some decent trail time this year.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Have committed PTO for a couple dates now. Received permit confirmation from recreation.gov for 2 of us up Convict Creek for 4 day backpack about end of June. Been up there into that ancient rusty geology 2 or 3 times in past. Will night hike first couple miles to start. Usual modest warm up for a week long solo backpack that looks like mid July likely out of Onion Valley over Kearsarge and Glen Passes. Was going to do Mono Creek but droughty conditions make it less interesting and bro can't stay away from his business that long this year so will do that in the future.

Then have a couple days PTO about Memorial Day weekend for what is looking like a 5 day road trip back up to Humboldt and Del Norte for redwood with rhododendron and coastal areas like I've done the previous 2 springs.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Headed to Pear Lake ski hut this coming weekend (Apr 25-27) then have a 5-6 day trip planned with my twins in August out of Mineral King. Timber Gap-Redwood Meadow-Hamilton Lakes-Kaweah Gap-Little Five Lakes-Black Rock Pass-Sawtooth Pass.