What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi y'all,
In June, my wife & I are going to try to do something along the lines of wandering down the spine of the Black Divide toward Rambaud Lakes by following some of the path taken by Mav, Roguephotonic, etc. We'd aimed to do this in early July of the big snow year (3 years ago), and wound up instead going over Muir Pass and into McGee basin, because it looked too dicey ("avalanchy") below Black Giant. Avalanches should not be a big concern this year!

Then, we are aiming to meet up with HST folks for at least a couple days in July. We still have not figured out how we're going to get there, but as soon as we have a better idea, we'll come clean (in a manner of speech; I suspect we'll be pretty grimy by the time we reach Wright/Wallace).
cg
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

I'm teaching a backpacking 101 class for the local parks district and the final will be a trip into Desolation Wilderness. I really enjoy introducing people to the back country and it gives me a chance to teach people not to screw up the wilderness while they are out there.

With the balance of my vacation time I'm finally going to do the JMT from start to finish with my daughter. I've never had enough time to do it all at once and it will be great father daughter bonding experience.

Before my trip I get to live out the expression "you've got to get through hell before you get to heaven". I'm spending 4th of July week in a beach house rental in the LA area with my girlfriend's family.
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by astrogerly »

After spending last year unable to backpack due to the newly bionic back, I'm really looking forward to it this year. Not sure if I'll be able to pick up where I left off, or if it will take a few trips to adjust to the new situation (we were already lightweight backpackers before), but I'm all about adapting these days. Dave and I will hopefully be spending lots of time in some of my favorite areas such as EVO and Precipice Lake. I have high hopes for exploring newer areas for us too like Bear Lakes Basin, the Ionian Basin and the Goddard area. I'm just really happy to be able to get back out and explore what I can in the Sierra these days. :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what does Bionic mean? just curious. fusion?
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

T12-L2 fusion/cage, prosthetic L1. A whole lot of titanium fun in my back. A lot of my friends just started calling me the bionic woman and the nickname stuck. :) There are lovely pics on my blog -> http://astrogerly.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

I've got a three day trip with the wife and a couple of buddies to the Grand Canyon next week(off with a bang!) Hermit/Tonto/Granite Rapids day one. a big one day two-Granite Rapids to Indian Garden. and out via Bright Angel day three..sorry-i know its not a Sierras trip ;)

as far as East side trips I've got a mellow three day solo to Kearsarge Lakes-with a twofer loop of Rixford and Gould in there for fun..mostly just fishing, training, acclimatizing etc.

another three day solo to Ediza Lake out of Agnew Meadows. going to potentially climb Banner or if conditions don't allow(or i chicken out ;) ill cross over from Nydiver Lakes to the back side of Garnet-ive read here of immense fields of indian paintbrush there!?

my highlight will be a five day solo to Bear Lakes Basin! doing the lollipop loop from Pine Creek pass, over Italy and Dancing Bear Pass to the Basin. might bag Feather Peak while at Feather Pass.? then work my way back to Pine Creek Pass and out. looking forward to that one for sure!

lastly going to try to get a good group of five buddies out to Hungry Packer Lake from Lake Sabrina)or whats left of it)for a fun/mellow three day trip to wind down the season in late Sept. with lots of fishing, exploring, scrambling around.

going to try to get out a lot locally-San Bernardinos- to train and help a friend train for his JMT trip..so ill look to do weekenders of San J, San G, Cucamonga-maybe Nine Peaks challenge?

going to be quite the year of fish, film, peaks, and miles!!
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

1) July 2nd, 2014- 5 day trip in the GTW: Permits reserved
2) Later in the year, planning to get the LCT in a special lake for the heritage trout challenge.

So far:
- Coastal Rainbow
- Kern River Rainbow

Needed:
- Little Kern Golden
- Volcano Creek Golden (aka CA Golden)
- LCT
- Paiute CT

Next year, I'll tackle the LKG and VCG in one trip. Then, I'll have only 1 more sub species to C&R.

For now, I'll be hitting some Bass on the fly. It's about time for the Spawn, if not already!
Splash
Topix Acquainted

Post by Splash »

Leaving out of Agnew Meadows on July 3rd, on the river trail to Garnet then cc to 1,000 Island Lake then trail to Marie Lakes over Donuhue to Ireland Lake maybe cc to Townsley then over to Bernice. I have 8 days and a little concerned about the skeeters. Not so much for myself but for the people I am taking... Even though last year at the same time they were'nt bad..Similar snow year.....

Splash
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

ucangler wrote:1) July 2nd, 2014- 5 day trip in the GTW: Permits reserved
2) Later in the year, planning to get the LCT in a special lake for the heritage trout challenge.

So far:
- Coastal Rainbow
- Kern River Rainbow

Needed:
- Little Kern Golden
- Volcano Creek Golden (aka CA Golden)
- LCT
- Paiute CT

Next year, I'll tackle the LKG and VCG in one trip. Then, I'll have only 1 more sub species to C&R.

For now, I'll be hitting some Bass on the fly. It's about time for the Spawn, if not already!
Dont want to hijack the thread, but no redbands or coastal cutthroats in your HTC quest UC?? :). My son and I completed the challenge in 2010. It was a great adventure to say the least. Kudos to you for taking the challenge!!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

Troutdog PMed you ;)