What are you planning for 2014?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What are you planning for 2014?

Post by FeetFirst »

rlown wrote:
Please give me intel on the Wires when you get back. had a great trip there in the early 80's. I want to know how it changed over the decades.

Russ
Will do.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

The lack of snow will make it an early year - this is the first year I've been above 12000' in the Sierra in the first half of March. By August this year, it might be pretty dry out there.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

I also have a 4-5 day trip planned for the Emigrant Wilderness in the last week of June or the first week of July. Maybe the water problems won't be as bad that early in the hiking season. I've never been to the area.

My plan is to enter at Pine Valley and go to Cherry Creek, Pinagree Lake, and Big Lake, with Big Lake being the base camp. I want to visit Camp Yellowhammer and climb some peaks in the area.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Going to do a loop on the JMT northbound from Devil's Postpile to the PCT split at Thousand Island and back following the PCT on Memorial weekend.
This was the only section of the JMT that I missed in the summer of 2012 due to the big blowdown earlier that year.
And starting Aug. 2nd I will be attempting the Walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt
(all on foot no short cutting).
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Since I am a huge soccer fan, I have to plan around the World Cup schedule (mid June to mid July)

First, is an overnighter with the wife to Santa Cruz Island (Channel Islands) in April.

Next up, a family trip to Point Reyes scheduled for early June. I will be taking my 8 year old grandson on his first ever backpacking trip, so this one should be nice, easy & fun for him; hopefully he will be hooked for more adventurous trips down the road.

Then, in no particular order, since I will have to coordinate dates with other folks, are trips to Emigrant and/or Desolation Wilderness; Yosemite (probably up Mono Pass/Parker Pass trailhead); and my first ever trip to the Eastern Sierra (thinking about exploring either the Thousand Island Lakes or Little Lakes Valley areas).

Can't wait!
themappist
Topix Acquainted

What are you planning for 2014?

Post by themappist »

April 17 spending 5 days in the Canadian Rockies ski touring to Tonquin Valley in Jasper Nat. Park.

In mid Sept. a week long trip out of Roads End over Avalanche pass up Colby all the way to Triple Divide pk. Over Milestone into the upper Kern. Over the KK again this year down to Reflection and x-country to Sphinx taking in Mt. Brewer. Hopefully peak bagging and tenkara fishing along the way.

At some point this summer work will take me to Yellowstone and I'm hoping to spend 5 days perhaps on the west side of the Tetons or in the Wind River range as well. Hopefully in August.

Other than that lots of weekends car camping with my 3 year old daughter (turns 3 in June) and hopefully her first overnight backpacking trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Old and slow,

PM sent.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Ah the Winds...enjoy! And daisy I bet your kids are soooo grateful! :)

And old ranger...whew, that's a lot of cool planning!

I have 3 trips planned....2 in Yosemite and 1 in Inyo. Just got back from yosemite where we day hiked one day and skiied the next...was wonderful! And I hope to get to Iceland this summer to visit a granddaughter there!:) Land of Fire and Ice! Won't be backpacking, but hope to trek on horses for a few days!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Well, I guess it's just gonna be Mav, Jim & myself out there at Wallace in July. LOL

The family is taking our annual 395 drive/camp trip in late June up to Tuolumne. My 15 yo son is really starting to crank, so I was thinking we could do a long(ish) day hike up Lyell Cyn, but then he suggested doing Whitney instead. I've never done MW before as a day hike, so I've been running like heck down here @ sea level trying to get in condition.

July is my Horseshoe to Shepherd blitz, with a stop over @ Wallace.

Aug we're doing the classic Oregon coast drive trip down to Mendocino, SF & home.

I might try to slip in a fast 3 say trip in May to Puppet from N Lake if the snow level stays really low.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Well, I'm itching to try out some new ultralite gear this season. I'll probably start out with a low elevation trip in the Emigrant, possibly as soon as May. ( It's going to be a long season with the drought and all) I hope to do some solo week long trips, getting great Ideas here on where to go !!