Cedar Grove to Wolverton or Mineral King

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cedar Grove to Wolverton or Mineral King

Post by iHartMK »

Hey guys, I am wanting to do a trip this year that starts at Cedar Grove roads end and ends at Wolverton, Crescent Meadow or Mineral King. I will be doing this trip solo, so I want to stick to trails.
I am looking over my maps at different routes, but was wondering if any of you have done it. Would love to read some TR's.
I think my first choice would be exiting at MK..
Thanks
William
Living On Kaweah Time
lambertiana
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Cedar Grove to Wolverton or Mineral King

Post by lambertiana »

How many days and miles/day do you plan on doing?

Even staying strictly on-trail, there are a lot of options for Roads End to Mineral King.

1. Roads End to Junction Meadow:
a. Bubbs Creek, over Forester, then along JMT to meet the High Sierra Trail at Wallace Creek, then down to Junction Meadow.
b. Same as above, but from Forester, descend Kern Cut-Off to the upper Kern drainage, then south to Junction Meadow.
c. Start on Bubbs Creek, then go over Avalanche Pass, up Cloud Canyon and over Colby Pass, then down to Junction Meadow.

2. Junction Meadow to Mineral King:
a. South along the Kern, then up to Chagoopa Plateau and to Nine Lakes Basin. From there, you have several options to exit at Mineral King:
-To Little Five Lakes, over Black Rock Pass, down Cliff Creek, and over Timber Gap to MK
-To Little Five Lakes, Big Five Lakes, then up Lost Canyon and over Sawtooth Pass to MK
-To Little Five Lakes, Big Five Lakes, then south to go up Soda Creek, past Little Claire and Forester Lakes, then over Franklin Pass to MK.
b. South along the Kern all the way to Rattlesnake Creek, up Rattlesnake Creek and over Franklin Pass to exit at MK.

I have been over the majority of that territory, and each of those routes has a lot to offer.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

When it comes to coming out at Crescent Meadow or Wolverton you will have to spend time on the High Sierra Trail to even consider going to Wolverton over Panther Gap or a more elaborate route so you might as well go out to Crescent Meadow.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

More information on your ability and the duration of your planned trip are needed...

There are multiple routes all requiring elevation gain and loss of significance.

I would suggest Bubbs/Sphinx Creek/Avalanche Pass/Cloud or Deadman Canyon, heading south over Colby (Cloud) or Elizabeth (Deadman). Either will allow for coming out via Wolverton/Crescent or to go further south, either on the JMT or down the Kern, and exit wherever you like.

Exiting at Mineral King will require you to have a friend pick you up. There are shuttles in the main area of Sequoia to take you out to Visalia in summer, if you exit at a main trailhead.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please read: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry I didn't read this first http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say I am level 3.5, class 2.5 and my interests are forests, lakes, big mountain scenery and bouldering.

Lambertiana, For this trip I was thinking 4-6 days and 10-13 mile days. Those are some great routes, thanks!

RoguePhotonic, thats true.. thanks!

This info really helps guys. Every summer I try to find new places to enter and exit Sequoia & Kings Canyon areas on the west side. I thought of this one while playing disc golf at Mooney's Grove. The peaks of Sequoia stood out like a sore thumb from here in Visalia. I thought to myself, I could get dropped off at roads end KC and get picked up roads end MK. But I wasn't sure which route (trails) to take. So you guys have really helped a ton.
William
Living On Kaweah Time
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Been monitoring this thread for a while. To me if you can arrange transportation ending your trip at Cedar Grove makes more sense as it is the lowest point of the trip.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

oldranger wrote:Been monitoring this thread for a while. To me if you can arrange transportation ending your trip at Cedar Grove makes more sense as it is the lowest point of the trip.

Mike
That is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that... thanks oldranger!
Living On Kaweah Time