TR: August 2013 Solo Hike to the Whaleback (and Back)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: August 2013 Solo Hike to the Whaleback (and Back)

Post by texan »

What an epic trip. Thank you for sharing.

Texan
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Great report and photos for a neat area. The view of the Whaleback from Triple Divide Peak is pretty good, too.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I'm glad to see that you finally broke down and bought a real tent--old man. :bear:
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Mike for posting this beautiful TR and pictures, no such thing as a late TR. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing your trip report, Mike. It will influence my future trip plans.

Just curious, is the outlet chute Mike took going down from Triple Divide Pass to the Kern-Kaweah River the standard route, or is there an easier way such as 1/3 mi to the west?

Are those blue jeans and a cotton T-shirt you are wearing atop Kersearge Pass? You are a man among marmots!

-Scott
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Ska-T, thank you for reading my TR and I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me it's payback for all the great reports I've had the pleasure to read on this site.

The chute I took is not one of the standard routes -- it is a variation that would not be easily passable when there is substantial flow in the creek.

The route I have used most frequently (four times over the years) is to head south from the pass, go over a nearby ridge and continue south past Triple Divide Peak, then carefully zig-zag down the steep ridge to the upper Kern-Kaweah. This is class 2; I usually end up passing my pack down a few times to avoid making knee wrenching three or four foot hops with a loaded pack. This route requires patience and good route finding but there is no exposure. A second route mentioned by Secor is to head west, then work down a drainage where you intersect the Colby Pass trail, on the meadowy plateau above the forested switchbacks. I have not tried this route but it looks reasonable on the map. Because I was headed down towards Rockslide Lake and not planning to camp in the upper Kern-Kaweah, the creek slot route seemed the most direct.

Yes, blue jeans and t-shirt, my preferred hiking garb -- don't leave home without it!

Mike
calicokat
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by calicokat »

Great trip report and photos. That's an area I need to explore and spend some time at. Thanks for taking me along the journey with you :)
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

Fantastic report! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't stop staring at the pic of the upper kern river. It looks so fishy. :eek:
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Awesome trip report! Thanks for taking the time to share your journey, and the photos. Good stuff! I have "blown out" more than one pair of nylon shorts and pants while hiking. I sometimes wonder if going back to jeans would be easier( definitely cheaper)!
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for taking the time to post an awesome trip report. I especially liked the details and photos of Triple Divide Pass, Glacier Lake and Glacier Ridge. I've been researching that area for a while and your photos are very helpful! Your route down the east side of Triple Divide Pass looks like a lot of fun. Thanks again!! BTW, I'm not sure if 'Old Codger' applies when you're lugging a full pack over Triple Divide Pass :)