Week long fishing trip advice needed.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Austin E
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Austin E »

Planning a trip for June; me, my friend, and my dog. I'm searching and reading as much as I can, but the posts I've found a lot of time don't mention having a dog, so that makes it difficult. I've found Mineral King Loop and the south lake to north lake loop. Any other recommendations? Do they allow dogs at either of those two trails? I'm not looking for anyone to give away any of their secret spots- I can read a map and will research, just put me on a trail with fish around and I'll put the time in.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel
--I've done a number of backpacking trips in washington, oregon, and Canada, from weekend trips to 150 mile trips, but just moved down to California. He's backpacked all over Europe-as he's from Spain.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings

--We have lots of experience off trail and we're both in good shape. We just ran a marathon last month and participate/compete in mud run's very often.

What is your main interest?
We're looking for consistent fishing and solitude, that's about it.

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 5-6

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
It doesn't really matter honestly, we can go 5 or we can go 15. We'd prefer to hike in, set camp, and hopefully have day hikes all around to different fishing lakes.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which
may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
Loop, or out and back are both fine. Point to point is non preferable.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
Don't really care-we're coming from LA so if it's closer cool, if not no worries.

Will you be hiking with a dog? Yes, this is a requirement. I don't leave her home.

Thanks
Austin
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I will suggest heading up from Courtright reservoir from the Maxson trailhead going up into the red Mountain basin and then crossing over easy cross-country to bench valley. The fishing in all the lakes yields nice fat rainbow trout and Brook trout.

*edited to correct what autocorrect broke *
Last edited by AlmostThere on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin E
Topix Novice

Re: Week long fishing trip advice needed.

Post by Austin E »

Thanks!

Doing research over the night, I've found mineral king loop is in Sequoia national park-- so no dogs. South lake to North lake is dog friendly though, and at only 4 1/2 hours from my house, is quite close.

I'll look into your suggestion today, Almosthere.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

If you don't mind being at intermediate elevation, you can find this solitude and fishing by bushwacking and bouldering all the way down the Mokulmne Canyon. There are several trip reports that can be found via search function. This is rugged terrain, mountainous, cliffs, headwalls, some poision oak and rattlesnakes, but only a few very hearty souls orienteer down this river. I have heard of people pulling as big as 28" trout from these waters occasionally. You put in where CA 4 crosses the river, work your way downstream to the famous Blue Hole, at which point trail begins, follows Salt Spring Reservoir to the dam and take out trailhead. It is possible you may see kayakers running this canyon, but doubtful you would see any other backpackers.
Austin E
Topix Novice

Post by Austin E »

Tom_H wrote: You put in where CA 4 crosses the river, work your way downstream to the famous Blue Hole, at which point trail begins, follows Salt Spring Reservoir to the dam and take out trailhead. It is possible you may see kayakers running this canyon, but doubtful you would see any other backpackers.
I am looking on google maps, and not seeing the 4 cross the river. I see the 48 cross it. Maybe I'm just missing it--I'll keep looking. This sounds like an excellent trip though. If we enjoyed it, I may have to come back with the kayaks, as that is another thing we love.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Tom_H wrote:If you don't mind being at intermediate elevation, you can find this solitude and fishing by bushwacking and bouldering all the way down the Mokulmne Canyon. There are several trip reports that can be found via search function. This is rugged terrain, mountainous, cliffs, headwalls, some poision oak and rattlesnakes, but only a few very hearty souls orienteer down this river. I have heard of people pulling as big as 28" trout from these waters occasionally. You put in where CA 4 crosses the river, work your way downstream to the famous Blue Hole, at which point trail begins, follows Salt Spring Reservoir to the dam and take out trailhead. It is possible you may see kayakers running this canyon, but doubtful you would see any other backpackers.
Bushwacking all of the way down the Moke?!?!?

As AlmostThere recently asked Hermit, "What has he ever done to you?"

:D :D :D

To be fair to Tom he did warn you about bushwacking, bouldering, rugged terrain, mountainous, cliffs, headwalls, poison oak and rattlesnakes.

Someday I would like to get the courage to do this hike! :nod: :nod:

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

lots of snakes between blue hole and Camp Irene. They were sitting on the trail, and sitting on tree stumps when i used to frequent the area. Multiple species. Lots of them as big as the fish Tom says are in there. I didn't see those fish.. generally 8"-12", but that was a long time ago. If you were taking dogs and they're not snake trained, it's not the place to go. There are places on that "trail" that are impassable to dogs w/o some really tricky assistance.

I've gone in from Salt Springs res up to Telephone Gulch (one of my favorite places).

I've also gone down from Carson pass into the canyon and back out and around back to Carson Pass.

Maybe a nice visit to Emigrant wilderness instead? The fishing is better the further in you go. Either from Gianelli Cabin or Crabtree. Check out CDFW's fishing guide on their fishing page.

Another Russ.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Vaca Russ wrote:As AlmostThere recently asked Hermit, "What has he ever done to you?"

Well, these guys say they're off trail experienced :dontknow . They want fishing and solitude, both of which they'd get, although they could see a :bear: or three. Whether people say they're newbies or experienced, I usually take that at face value, but again :dontknow . If they're up to playing Indiana Jones, :-k . OTOH, it's not the Chatooga and they shouldn't encounter any :rock: (banjo players).

Here's a map with start possibilities.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=0V76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russ, I didn't see those 28 inchers, just heard talk, but I saw a guy pull one 22 incher after another from the last pool before the reservoir last March using live worms. My pal with artificial didn't get a nibble. Russ is right about the dogs, forgot about that part.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. no dog. Up rafferty to evelyn. next day at townsley. then up to HB.. back out. All in Yose.

this isn't a secret. except to Markskor.

I expect you have all the necessary equipment, bear cans, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wow Russ, HB one of your secret location, though Puppet has been outed too, your
going to run out of secret locations besides you know which lake, which I ain't going
to mention. [-(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org