Week long fishing trip advice needed.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Austin E
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Week long fishing trip advice needed.

Post by Austin E »

Mike: I have looked up extensively the park boundaries for where I'll be headed, and will mark on the map/gps my northernmost limit before we go. I'm still trying to find what maps I want to order//golden trout wilderness and inyo national forest I think.

Tom: Didn't know about the bathtub/hot spring, but will look it up, thanks.
Austin E
Topix Novice

Post by Austin E »

Anyone have maps drawn up for this area?
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Kern Hot Springs is about 12 miles north of the Kern Canyon ranger station and about 10 miles south of Junction Meadow. There's a concrete tub there, near the east bank of the river, with natural hot spring water flowing in at the head of the tub (controlled by a wooden plug). Blissful if you've been on the trial for many days and happen to be there when it's not crowded.

If you're looking for good maps, try Tom Harrison's "Mt Whitney High Country Trail Map" and "Golden Trout Wilderness Trail Map." Unless you're planning to head off cross country, these maps should be more than sufficient -- they show contour lines at 80 foot intervals, like the old 15-minute topo maps I am used to using.

Mike
Austin E
Topix Novice

Post by Austin E »

Thanks Tom, will grab those maps ASAP.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

My brother and I hiked over shepherds pass, down the Kern and out through Little Whitney Meadow to Cottonwood several years ago. Fishing along the Kern was very good. The hot tub was cool if you are in the area, but definitely not worth a days hike to see and get in it. That area is definitely off limits to dogs, but if you go south of the bridge just below the Kern Ranger station to Kern lake and maybe Hole in the ground you are in Golden Trout Wilderness and dogs are allowed. Unfortunately, the area was overused and there were quite a few Fly fishermen there on horse back since it is stock friendly. In my limited opinion the fishing and scenery were allot better north of the ranger station around the Funston Meadow and Rattlesnake Creek area.