Favorite Wilderness?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorie Wilderness?

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
What is your definition of wilderness? Sierra only? California only. Anywhere?

Since this section is Sierra specific it should be wildernesses inside the boundaries
of the Sierra, otherwise another post should be posted in the "Beyond the Sierra
Nevada" section for those beyond it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Caribou and Warner

For the lack of crowds.

Both were wilderness before the passage of the 1964 act, or more properly "wild areas". Wild Areas were set aside by agency designation, not statutory. Management was basically the same as now. After the passage of the 1964 act the existing Wild Areas became Wilderness.

Wilderness designation is frequently cited as the highest level of protection for land. It is not. Research Natural Areas are more restrictive.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I like marks answer. It really is apples to oranges. Although i have never been to emigrant or deso.

It is all so great, who can choose?!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

SEKI. Though I also agree with marksor--timberline country is where my soul resides. For me, SEKI has the most varied and stunning timberline country on our planet.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

balzaccom wrote:Fifty years ago, in 1964, Congress passed the Wilderness Act. (Yes, in those days they actually got something done!)..
The Wilderness Act was first proposed in 1955, so it still took a while to get something done.
Took nine years and several rewrites of the legislation to gain traction and support in Congress.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

All of the places mentioned so far are great, but one that I treasure a bit more than others (and hasn't been mentioned so far) is the Carson Iceberg Wilderness. I often go there and see no one else the whole time.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I like all the wilderness areas from Golden Trout to Mt Rose. Mt Rose is my favorite because I can cross just one road and walk from my house into it. I do my 'no drive' training hikes in it and it is good for no permit/no hassle one or two night solo trips close to home.

I think it is wonderful that you can start at Horseshoe Meadows cross into Golder Trout, Sequia NP, Kings Canyon NP, John Muir and Ansel Adams wilderness areas, Hover, Carson Iceberg, Desolation, and Granite Chief wilderness areas without hardly ever being out of a wilderness or national park area.

I did my first Emigrant Wilderness trip last summer and plan to go back to spend more time doing navigation on the large slabs of granite.
Jeff
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

JWreno wrote:...

I did my first Emigrant Wilderness trip last summer and plan to go back to spend more time doing navigation on the large slabs of granite.

You mean like this?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Dinkey Lakes
Living On Kaweah Time
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Yeah, that is one of the wide ramps that you could ride a skate board on if you were crazy. One of the reasons I want to go back is last time the fire was raging about 5-7 miles away down by Cherry Lake. I want to see it again with better vistas.
Jeff