Need to find a group for a 4 night trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sportsguy81
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Need to find a group for a 4 night trip

Post by sportsguy81 »

Hi I need to find a group for a 4 night trip in Yosemite. I'm currently checking out meetup.com, but are there any other suggestions? I don't plan on paying an arm and a leg for a guided service, unless its under 300 bucks for 4 nights which doesn't seem that likely.. however I do have my own gear and have backpacked before, so I'm not looking for just a free guided tour. How about some local groups that just meet up and go backpacking?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need to find a group for a 4 night trip

Post by markskor »

When are you going? Where do you want to go? Miles/day - fishing? Experience? Gear?

Many here are currently making their summer plans for Yosemite. and in the same boat. Maybe if you let us know more about you, and your exact intended dates (or at least a close approximation)....ask nicely (lol...well, maybe not).
You never can tell who here (lots of experience) might just respond and may be able to help you out for nothing, let you tag along.
Mountainman who swims with trout
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Where are you based out of? I'm in Visalia. Closer to Sequoia NP.
Living On Kaweah Time
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sportsguy81,

Welcome to HST! We ask folks to answer this form when requesting trip advice, if
you answer some of these question it will allow folks to gauge your experience level
and they may invite you along on a trip. :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sportsguy81
Topix Novice

Post by sportsguy81 »

Here are my answers to the questionnaire.. I would like to come out the beginning of July of this year. Ideally id like to go with an group around my age, im 32. I live in Michigan but plan on flying out there the first or 2nd week of July.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 4 nights in the backcountry. 1 night at the trailhead.

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? no more than 10 miles in a day. preferribly less.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which
may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
Open to any of these.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
Yosemite

Will you be hiking with a dog?
No
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Most haven't made solid plans yet. July is a ways off. Have you a map where you have places you want to go? It'd be nice to hear those, if you have an inkling.

Yosemite is a bit restrictive in your quest, unless there's a reason you pick that place.

The little details are kind of important, like have you already made travel plans to be there at a certain point in time? Guessing you don't have a permit in hand yet. Not a problem yet, but will be the first week in July.
sportsguy81
Topix Novice

Post by sportsguy81 »

I'm open to any suggestions on where to go, since I haven't been to Yosemite yet, only Glacier National Park, and certain trails here in Michigan. I do want to go for 4 nights though in the backcountry. Tuolumne meadows to the valley is an option.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Here's my advice. Don't worry about getting in with a group or guided "tour". Go solo. There are plenty of solo hikers in Yose that you will meet and perhaps can hike with. For what you have mentioned, I suggest two options:
1. Start in TM and take the JMT to Red's meadow. Beautiful "big mountain" scenery, and lakes too. There's a shuttle from Red's to Mammoth, then another that will get you back to TM. Or better yet leave your car at Mammoth,then take the shuttle to TM and start your hike.
2. Start in TM and go to the valley via Vogelsang pass. Again, great scenery and shuttles are available between the valley and TM.

Use the search function on this site to get more info/pics for either trip. Then post back if you have questions. Good Luck !
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

It is pretty easy to make friends in the backpackers campground. My last trip there I showed another solo guy from colorado around the valley for a couple days.
sportsguy81
Topix Novice

Post by sportsguy81 »

How about late May of this year, like May 22-28 for the Rae Lakes Loop? Is that too early? With the low snow pack in the Sierra's I'm thinking that would probably be a good time to go. I'm just worried about Glen Pass and the snow that may be up there during that time... but with 12% normal snowpack in the Sierra's, I'm thinking I'll be ok.