Need Mileage on JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SoCalCPA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Need Mileage on JMT

Post by SoCalCPA »

Hi everyone -

I just got permits for a short section of the JMT (Reds Meadow to Florence Lake) - I checked out topos on line for distances but don't have estimated mileage on each day - If someone could help me out I would be most grateful - Here is the itinerary

Reds Meadow to Virginia Lake
Virginia Lake to Silver Pass Lake
Silver Pass Lake to Bear Creek
Bear Creek to Sallie Keyes Lake
Sallie Keyes Lake to Florence
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Need Mileage on JMT

Post by oldranger »

SoCal…

Get a Harrison map for estimated distances. But more important than distance is vertical!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

http://jmt.sierra-hikes.com/Miles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Doesn't anyone know how to calculate miles and elevation gain from topo maps anymore? Have we all become dependent on miles and elevation gain posted by others on the internet?

The map series "Map-Pack of the John Muir Trail has mileage. You could also use a program like TOPO. But the old fashioned way also works - get the 7.5 topo maps (of download free from internet USGS site, and print out the parts you need - be sure to print to scale NOT to fit page). measure distance and count contour lines. To plan a trip you do not need the miles to the tenth of mile - you can do pretty good with a ruler and string.

I use this little rule of thumb to estimate time on the trail

2 mph for trail hiking (1.5 mph first couple of days if you are acclimating, 2.5 mph later in trip when you are in great shape)
1 hour per 1000 feet elevation gain
10-15 minutes for each rest stop
15-30 minutes for each creek crossing that requires wading
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
Doesn't anyone know how to calculate miles and elevation gain from topo maps
anymore? Have we all become dependent on miles and elevation gain posted by
others on the internet?
:nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SoCalCPA
Topix Acquainted

Post by SoCalCPA »

Than you all! Great advise and links - I much appreciate it!
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Doesn't anyone know how to calculate miles and elevation gain from topo maps anymore? Have we all become dependent on miles and elevation gain posted by others on the internet?
Thanks WD, I was thinking the same thing. Yes, we have become to dependent on this internet. Most of the printed maps I buy have the milage printed up on them and I just and them up. I'll give your rule of thumb tip a try the next time I get out..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That rule of thumb is from the "old days" with heavy packs - say 12 days food. If you go UL you can drop to 1/2 hour per 1000 feet gain, or even less. I use this on most of my trips and it is pretty close. How far you can go in a day has more to do with how many hours per day you are willing and able to keep walking. The only way you can make the longer daily miles is get up early and to keep walking! I rarely take a rest break over 10 minutes and maybe only four breaks for an 8 hour day. It usually is not the actual rate of travel that slows people down, but all the stops and not being able to get going early enough. Sort of the old "tortoise vs hare" story.