HST Good Loops for Backpacking Mid March?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: HST Good Loops for Backpacking Mid March?

Post by Tom_H »

So let's review a little. A new member with no experience whatsoever starts one thread inquiring about hiking the HST and Whitney Portal area solo in mid-March. The first thing some members begin discussing is whether he needs a permit. Other people talk him out of it and he agrees. A day later the same person starts a new thread inquiring about HST loops. The person owns a backpack and a sleeping bag that's not a backpacking sleeping bag. That's it. Somehow the reality does not sink in as people try a little harder and a little harder to explain it.

Now comes along someone telling the poster to rely on himself alone and no one else. AlmostThere responds appropriately in almost shock at the statement. Unbelievably, someone replies that AT is "trippin".

Russ, in another earlier thread (there have been several this year) someone with no experience inquired about winter backpacking. I stated you need specialized training to survive in winter conditions (training that I have). You told them they did not need any training and advised they should just go do it. You think I should not talk so much about death? That's not going to happen. Too many people have already died. Jes was not grasping the reality. I did what I thought was necessary to make the message sink in. I did not like being so hard on the kid, but I am a retired professional. If that's what it takes to keep him alive, that's what I'm going to do. I spent years teaching young people how to survive under adverse conditions in the wilderness. I have a passion for that. If I think someone is unknowingly flirting with suicide, I am going to act in a way that I think will prevent that. It was an act of tough love, but I am not one to sit passively while someone walks into the wilderness that I love and either die or come back with such a bad experience that he never tries it again.

I got through to Jes. Because I did, I figured I also had a responsibility to guide his enthusiasm in a positive manner and not crush it. To date he and I have exchanged 45 PMs as I try to assist him in selecting equipment and destinations as well as learn what he needs to know. It is my intention for him not only to survive, but to find the same love and passion for the wilderness that I have and for it to become a lifelong endeavor.

Nature is a powerful and primal force. If you do not learn to understand and respect her she will devour you. Learn to understand her and gain wisdom about living within her boundaries and you can thrive. The attitude just go do it is not a responsible approach. That message is a menace to the entire hiking community and I will always counter it whether others like it or not. It is a responsibility that I cannot ignore. I have nothing against you personally, but I cannot and will not stand idly by if I think someone's life is in danger.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Deleting my post it is unnecessary
Last edited by sparky on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what he said, Tom.

Besides that, think of all those who do go and live w/o your prized wisdom. Heck, I'm one, though that was years ago. Guess i didn't ask.. wait.. no internet.

Some of those "bad" experiences are the best memories of my life. They were overcome.

Still comes back to find a friend or friends and go learn. In small doses at first and expand it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It would be nice to hear from Jes on the topic again, as he's been PM'ing multiple people for gear info, etc.. After all, it is his thread.

Jes, What have you learned?
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Sparky, thank you for your very gracious PM. We're good.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Good deal Tom, i of course my opinion still stands, just dont think flames on this website. We can respectfully disagree. I am also anxious to hear from jes. So you taking this kid out Tom? I would be happy to, but im afraid my next hike in june will inviolve exposure.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

sparky wrote: So you taking this kid out Tom?
Yes, but that's for him to discuss if he chooses.
Jes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Jes »

Sorry, I have been out of touch regarding the post. Have been a busy bee gathering essentials for the GC trip, working on a senior thesis paper/project, among my other classes, and doing volunteer work at a therapeutic equine ranch. I can honestly say I have learned a lot from my initial post to now from the experience/suggestions you all have expressed. I have been pm'ing Tom and he has been guiding me regarding essentials and the sensitivity of going up against the primal force of nature as put by some. He has offered to have me tag along on a trip, which I plan to accept because it would be such a great learning experience, I am grateful for that. I have now come to realize this type of thing is not something you just pick up and do, it is a long process of learned experiences, but I can only learn so much through the experience of others. I have picked up a lot from reading books, and I do realize there is a lot of common sense to it. If something feels uneasy it is best to turn around and not force something that's not meant to be. There is great severity when going into an unknown environment so I have been researching as much as I can, I assure you all, yet in the eye's of some it still might not be enough. As far as that goes, I must now venture into it and learn first hand from my mishaps and triumphs. I go in with great caution.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

off topic, but what is your thesis/project. Equine kind of peaked my interest.

Glad you're planning a trip.. where and when are you guys going?

Russ
Jes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Jes »

I am heading to the Grand Canyon come Friday. My thesis project is based on disabled children in a therapeutic equine environment. I will seek skills learned/obtained from pre to post program development. Ten children will be participating in a 10 week, 2 lesson/weekly study. Results will be sought through the correlation of a multiple survey questionnaires based on three observers; parent, instructor, and volunteer. Three surveys will be obtained for each child. I have already found limitations which is unfortunate, but unforeseen and have no time to change things around and restart as I am already mid-semester.