7-8 HST BackPacking Trip Need Advise

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Jes »

So I had planned to go with 2 others, but turns out they will not be able to make it. In turn I am going to end up going solo as it's my spring break and have been looking forward to it. I am an avid hiker, beginning backpacker, with high fitness level and have done fine with the altitude there thus far, I have been doing many hikes/backpacking 2-3 day sessions in preparation. I am planning to go in mid March, weather conditions upon time will influence whether I go ahead with the trip or not, but there has been a drought. I have researched and found that I do not need a permit as of yet, I am maybe wrong or I just need to pick one up?? Please lmk if I do.

I plan to drive up two days prior to Lone Pine, stay at the whitney portal Hostel then drive to the portal and leave my car in the parking lot and hitch back down. Next morning than catch a bus to visalia and stay the night. Next morning get the sequel shuttle to the Giant Forest (incase I do need a permit) then take a shuttle back to the Crescent Meadow to start the hike.

Is this plan good? Any suggestions would definitely help. I want to fish along the way as well as I do much of it.
Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal
Thank You
-Jes
paul
Topix Expert

Re: 7-8 HST BackPacking Trip Need Advise

Post by paul »

In Mid-March that's a ski or snowshoe trip. Even this year. Snowpack this winter is well below normal but that just means there's 2 or 3 feet of snow everywhere instead of 8 or 10.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Pretty sure you need a wilderness permit any time of the year. That's how they eventually know where you might be if you go missing. Call the ranger station for the forest you're entering. Should be one in Lone Pine, but I haven't been there. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/abou ... rdb5136221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and what Paul said.

Welcome to HST!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Let's see...beginning backpacker, solo, March, and the entire HST trail in 8 days...
No mention of 'pons or an ice ax, no snowshoes or skis either...any winter training?
What gear do you have...sleeping bag?
Do not want to appear negative here, but -
What am I missing?
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jes,

Welcome to HST! March is way to early for this trip unless your planning on a skiing
as Paul mentioned. You'll need a permit but they are self issued from Sept to May.
You'll can pick up your permit at the following places: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/w ... ermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You need a permit. You also need a bear canister. You need winter camping skills and winter gear. you very much need to not go by yourself. you also need to have another look at the logistics – the giant Forest Museum is likely closed right now and they do not plow to it ,and permits will be gotten at the visitors center this year as they have ceased letting hikers self register at Lodgepole. you now self register at the grant Grove visitors center. I do not know that the Sequoia shuttle runs at all and winter - you would want to look at it because if it does, I am sure it is on a limited schedule.

also, the road to Whitney portal trailhead is currently closed for the winter, so that will be an additional number of miles you will need to walk down the road as there are no services whatsoever at the portal
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:You need a permit. You also need a bear canister. You need winter camping skills and winter gear. you very much need to not go by yourself. you also need to have another look at the logistics – the giant Forest Museum is likely closed right now and they do not plow to it ,and permits will be gotten at the visitors center this year as they have ceased letting hikers self register at Lodgepole. you now self register at the grant Grove visitors center. I do not know that the Sequoia shuttle runs at all and winter - you would want to look at it because if it does, I am sure it is on a limited schedule.

also, the road to Whitney portal trailhead is currently closed for the winter, so that will be an additional number of miles you will need to walk down the road as there are no services whatsoever at the portal
You need to change your plans and go to the beach with everyone else, spring break. unless you possess those skills.. Drought means nothing up there.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

You are asking us to help you commit suicide. I am not joking. Please read these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sorry to be so direct, but I cannot sugar coat this. You have no clue what you are doing and you simply will not survive. Find someone else to go with and go to the Coast Range. Wait until summer and go to the Sierra when you can both enjoy it and stay alive.
Jes
Topix Novice

Post by Jes »

Thank you guys for the feed back, it really helps even the direct comments, I am certainly thinking about changing plans, but I know being myself I am stubborn as can be that is why I ask. Maybe I'll end up doing a loop instead to see and try again during the summer season. I really appreciate the advice. Wish I could find a group that going, which would have been way better as suggested :/ until summer, maybe.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

We need an orientation page that users are required to read before registering. Simple stuff like summer is for hiking and winter is for skiing.too many posts for advice on impossible and dangerous trips.and yes stick to low elevation this time of year