Sierras 3-6 Day Backpacking Fishing Trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hannican
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sierras 3-6 Day Backpacking Fishing Trip?

Post by Hannican »

Hi All,

I got some great advice last time I posted, asking how I could connect Onion Valley Campground with Big Pine Creek Campground, and have abandoned the idea of trying to make that happen due to potential danger.

Now I'm thinking of doing something a little different, but hopefully still in the Sierra Nevadas. I'd like to take at least one 3 day weekend trip, as well as one 1 week trip (5-6 nights) this Summer. I'm thinking between July - September.

Goal of the trip is to do 10-15 miles per day, fish along the way, explore lakes, go over mountain passes, and basically do something similar to the Eastern side of the Rae Lakes Loop (probably my favorite spot in the world!).

A couple years back I tried to connect Tuolumne with Lake Thomas Edison, but my Dad had too much trouble doing as many miles per day as we needed to hit, and we ended up having to abandon the attempt about 1/3 the way in due to low mileage and an impending snowstorm.

Here are my answers to the helpful questions:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 3-6 (3 day weekend suggestions would be great, as would week-long trips)

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? Comfortable with up to 15 per day, including big elevation days

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which
may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)? Loops is the best, out and back would be fine as well

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in(Yosemite, SEKI
western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? Yosemite & Kings Canyon are my favorites, but I'm open to anything!

Will you be hiking with a dog? No

Any and all ideas are MOST APPRECIATED! Thanks so much you guys! I know there are lots of options, but with the low water levels we're facing this year, I am hoping some of you experts will be able to project/anticipate the best places to go considering I'd like to do a lot of fishing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierras 3-6 Day Backpacking Fishing Trip?

Post by maverick »

Mineral King Loop, it offers good fishing, great scenery, and beautiful lakes. Here are
3 of many TR's you can find on HST. This loop can be varied numerous ways
depending on starting points, the amount of mileage one wants to cover, and how
difficult you want to make it.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... oop#p75398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... oop#p77055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 044#p34044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hannican
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Hannican »

Thanks Maverick! I'm looking into that loop now!

Another thought I just had would be putting in at Devil's Postpile and hiking up and around the Garnet Lake and 1,000 Island Lake area.

I've been to Garnet & 1,000 Island before, but didn't get to fish or really check the place out because we were in a hurry to avoid incoming snow.

Anyone know about the fishing there? Anyone have suggestions for other lakes that are must-see's in that area? (I found online that Ediza Lake is apparently a great one to stop at?).

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hannican wrote:
Anyone know about the fishing there? Anyone have suggestions for other lakes that
are must-see's in that area? (I found online that Ediza Lake is apparently a great one
to stop at?).
Fishing is good at those lakes, see TR's, for example: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 00+is+lake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Ediza is beautiful, Ashley, Beck, Minaret, Iceberg, Davis, Cabin Lakes to name a few are all very pretty and some offer good fishing too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

WD's husband told me he that for this combination of hiking and fishing he likes the South Lake-North Lake Loop, going through Evolution Basin. This is almost, but not quite a full loop. There's a little distance between the two trailheads. There are numerous threads about this route. Use the search function.