Easiest cross country passes in the high sierras?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Easiest cross country passes in the high sierras?

Post by kpeter »

Garnet Pass is an easy Class 1 cross country stroll between the west ends of Thousand Island and Garnet Lakes. A little bit of talus to pick through at the top. Use trails up to the talus. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Easiest cross country passes in the high sierras?

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the great submission Maverick- I didn't realize how well that "Back country Passes resource works! I agree with all of the passes you noted, most of which I know from experience, however I have a comment to make on "North Glacier Pass." If one gets off-track when coming down the east side, back to 1000 Island Lake, and ends up in the giant boulder field south of the correct route, then it is no easy crossing! I may even have used some bad language.

I made it harder by crossing at about 3:00 A.M., with a sixty pound boy fast asleep on my shoulders. We arrived back to our camp at 4 A.M.! In our family it is known as the infamous "Day/Night Hike." "Sierra," if you do choose to enter this very rewarding area, take your time when navigating this pass from the west- you shouldn't experience my east side "boulder-field" troubles in the daylight. I had some difficulties with descending the west side the first time when traveling solo, heading down it from the east on my way up the North Fork S.J. to climb Mt Lyell, and then drop in high above Marie Lakes Basin, and then again, I had even more trouble the second time crossing N.G. Pass west to east from the same valley via Clinch Pass- you'd think I would've learned. My problem was ascending too soon toward N.G. Pass pass, and having to negotiate the steep ridge to the NW of the correct route, pointlessly up and down.

As was recently mentioned in another post: "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." All the best "Sierra."
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.