Lamarck Col information wanted

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lamarck Col information wanted

Post by mort »

Hello everyone!
Planning to get up to the Darwin Glacier, April 1 to 5. 2 guys, level of experience 4, comfortable with all terrain listed. Like to see mountains.
I'm asking if anyone has first hand, aerial photography, or satellite images of Lamarck Col and the Darwin Basin for this year? Does anybody know how much snow there is? Snowshoes? skis? boots? And is Horton Creek the closest campground that will be open? We'll drive from Los Angeles and want to sleep as close to North Lake as possible.

Many thanks,
mort
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Lamarck Col information wanted

Post by maverick »

After the current storm any satellite or aerial photo taken even a week ago
would be worthless. Bitterbrush Campground is also open and the only year
round NF campground in the area, the rest of the NF Campgrounds open in May. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 8&actid=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To early to tell what you can expect in May, depends on how many more storms we
get, and on whether we get any big late season storms (April-May).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

While we can't predict how much snow there will be, it's a pretty safe bet that on April 1st you'll be walking from Aspendell. Normally the road gets opened up to the bottom of the North Lake road (and beyond to Sabrina) for the trout opener on the last Saturday in April. Before that it can happen but almost never does even though the road may be almost bare. Easy enough to check online since it's a state Hwy - 168 - so you can look up the status on the caltrans website.

Keep in mind that April 1st is usually pretty much the maximum snowpack as far as depth up high. The lowest elevations will have melted out to one degree or another, but up high it's usually as deep as it gets, and March is usually a pretty big month for snowfall.

In a typical year, you'd be on skis or snowshoes from about North Lake. This year may be different - or may not.

CORRECTION - make that the bottom of the north lake road, not North Lake. Forgot I was thinking of April 1st. When 168 opens a the end of April, you usually have some walking to get to the solid snow at North Lake, but on April 1st I'd expect to be on snow right from the highway.
Last edited by paul on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It only takes one storm to change everything. Weather has to be looked at just before you leave. If it's bad, you have to make the call on not going, and shifting the trip. You will be in boots, skis, and snowshoes regardless of what happens in April. Not to mention avalanche stuff.

I've had problems on the roads in Sept with Thunder/hail storms on 395 just getting there. Think a highway covered in white pebbles of love. Saw 3 cars spun out because they didn't have a clue. luckily for me they were on the other side of the road. I dropped my truck onto the shoulder (better traction there), and put on the flashers.

good luck in April.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

rlown wrote: Think a highway covered in white pebbles of love.

good luck in April.

Love it! We want more of that kind of writing on these boards!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963