Tehipite/Gorge Of Despair Sept 2013

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehipite/Gorge Of Despair Sept 2013

Post by sparky »

It is hard to be sure, but it seems as though I can see parts of this trail when comparing the old map with current topos and satalite images. The elevations of the old topo seem to be off at where I think I see the creek crossing. Then again I could just be looking at the natural lay of the land.

Would make for an interesting adventure to attempt that "trail" if its there at all. The bushwacking at those elevations are brutal :eek:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

One reason for trails in the area is that they used to graze cattle in that area. I met the old permittee last fall. Never thought of the area as a place for cattle.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

sparky wrote:It is hard to be sure, but it seems as though I can see parts of this trail when comparing the old map with current topos and satellite images.
I was looking at Google Earth, and I could plainly see segments of the Happy Gap trail on the south slopes. Those slopes suffered fire damage in recent years, so that probably complicated the trails usability. On the north slopes I couldn't find anything that I could positively identify as trail. A more sane thing to do would be to check out where the old HG trail ends up on the middle fork in a low water year or season. The old map posted above suggests many switchbacks on that very steep slope, and if anything survives of the old trail, it would be there.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Well, I found myself also looking at Google Earth for any indication of the old trail. I got snagged after seeing a copy on eBay of Solomone's magazine article of his "discovery" of Tehipite Valley. Soon thereafter I noticed a 1906 map of Tehipite and the Monarch Divide also on eBay (go figure).

Prior to this I had re-read your (Doyle's) fine TR of the Monarch Divide which has again piqued my interest in the area. Seems like lots of intrigue and history in the area.

Incidentally, I did see what appeared to be remnants of the trail on the north slopes - hard to say for sure, but some segments look like more man made than by wildlife.

PS. The 1906 map was going for $75 bucks; instead I opted for a 1952 version for $15.